* store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-13  3:20 Dale Johannesen
From: Dale Johannesen @ 2003-03-13  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn, gcc; +Cc: Dale Johannesen

I'm trying to get PPC to generate a more efficient sequence for the
case where you want to put the result of double-to-int conversion in
memory, and don't need it in a register.  The normal code looks
like cvt in FP reg, store to temp mem, load to int reg, store to
the real location.   There is an instruction to do it directly,
though, without going through temp mem.  I thought getting
combine to do it looked right, and wrote this pattern, which is
just fix_truncdfsi2 with the result fed into a store:

   [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "memory_operand" "=m")
         (fix:SI (match_operand:DF 1 "gpc_reg_operand" "f")))
    (clobber (match_operand:DI 2 "gpc_reg_operand" "=f"))
    (clobber (match_operand:DI 3 "memory_operand" "=o"))]

where op3 is a stack temp.
Unfortunately combine refuses to generate this pattern; it is afraid
the two parallel memory_operands might conflict (which we can see they
don't), and doesn't even attempt to do alias checking.  So what is Plan
B?
Putting alias checking into combine seems like a big hammer (for that
matter, I don't think there's enough alias info in the stack-temp to
get this right anyway).  Is there an alternative general approach?

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-13 22:37 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2003-03-13 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:45:36PM -0800, Dale Johannesen wrote:
>   [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "memory_operand" "=m")
>         (fix:SI (match_operand:DF 1 "gpc_reg_operand" "f")))
>    (clobber (match_operand:DI 2 "gpc_reg_operand" "=f"))
>    (clobber (match_operand:DI 3 "memory_operand" "=o"))]
>
> where op3 is a stack temp.

Do you actually need the stack temp?  I understood you that
you didn't need it, because you had an instruction for this
directly.  If not, just leave it out.

r~

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-13 22:52 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2003-03-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

You might also want to look at Alpha's pattern for this:

(define_insn_and_split "*fix_truncdfsi_internal"
  [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "memory_operand" "=m")
        (subreg:SI (fix:DI (match_operand:DF 1 "reg_or_0_operand" "fG")) 0))
   (clobber (match_scratch:DI 2 "=f"))]
  "TARGET_FP && alpha_fptm < ALPHA_FPTM_SU"
  "#"
  "&& reload_completed"
  [(set (match_dup 2) (fix:DI (match_dup 1)))
   (set (match_dup 3) (unspec:SI [(match_dup 2)] UNSPEC_CVTQL))
   (set (match_dup 0) (match_dup 3))]
  ;; Due to REG_CANNOT_CHANGE_SIZE issues, we cannot simply use SUBREG.
  "operands[3] = gen_rtx_REG (SImode, REGNO (operands[2]));"
  [(set_attr "type" "fadd")
   (set_attr "trap" "yes")])

r~

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-14 19:15   ` Dale Johannesen
From: Dale Johannesen @ 2003-03-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: Dale Johannesen, David Edelsohn, gcc

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 02:32  PM, Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:45:36PM -0800, Dale Johannesen wrote:
>>   [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "memory_operand" "=m")
>>         (fix:SI (match_operand:DF 1 "gpc_reg_operand" "f")))
>>    (clobber (match_operand:DI 2 "gpc_reg_operand" "=f"))
>>    (clobber (match_operand:DI 3 "memory_operand" "=o"))]
>>
>> where op3 is a stack temp.
>
> Do you actually need the stack temp?  I understood you that
> you didn't need it, because you had an instruction for this
> directly.  If not, just leave it out.

Thanks.
For this case, where the result goes in memory, you don't need a stack
temp.
For the case where it goes in a register, however, you do.  (It looks
like
this is not so on Alpha?)  So removing op3 from the above pattern
results
in another pattern that combine won't generate, because the original
fix_truncdfsi2 pattern does have the temp, and needs it.

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-14 19:52     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2003-03-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: Richard Henderson, gcc

	Can't you just mark the unnecessary temp with "X" constraint for
the pattern that does not need it?

David

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-14 20:00       ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2003-03-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Richard Henderson, gcc

David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> 	Can't you just mark the unnecessary temp with "X" constraint for
> the pattern that does not need it?

That would be a good idea, but doesn't solve Dale's problem...

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-14 20:10         ` Dale Johannesen
From: Dale Johannesen @ 2003-03-14 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: Dale Johannesen, David Edelsohn, Richard Henderson, gcc

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 11:37  AM, Geoff Keating wrote:
> David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> 	Can't you just mark the unnecessary temp with "X" constraint for
>> the pattern that does not need it?
>
> That would be a good idea, but doesn't solve Dale's problem...

Right.  The problem is not that the pattern isn't recognized, it's
that combine won't consider it in the first place.
(I did run this by Geoff before asking the list, btw, which
makes me think it's not a case of me missing something trivial.)
Basically I'm trying to get combine to merge these 2 patterns:

(insn 11 10 12 0 0x0 (set (mem:SI (reg:SI 5 r5) [0 S4 A32])
         (reg:SI 120)) 309 {*movsi_internal1} (insn_list 10 (nil))

(insn 10 5 11 0 0x0 (parallel [
             (set (reg:SI 120)
                 (fix:SI (reg:DF 33 f1)))
             (clobber (reg:DI 121))
             (clobber (mem/f:DI (plus:SI (reg/f:SI 30 r30)
                         (const_int 32 [0x20])) [0 S8 A64]))

It considers generating
(insn 10 5 11 0 0x0 (parallel [
             (set (mem:SI (reg:SI 5 r5)
                 (fix:SI (reg:DF 33 f1)))
             (clobber (reg:DI 121))
             (clobber (mem/f:DI (plus:SI (reg/f:SI 30 r30)
                         (const_int 32 [0x20])) [0 S8 A64]))
and rejects that because it thinks the mem's might conflict, as I said
before.
It also considers generating
             (set (mem:SI (reg:SI 5 r5)
                 (fix:SI (reg:DF 33 f1)))
which isn't adequate because I *do* need the floating point scratch reg.
It does not consider generating
(insn 10 5 11 0 0x0 (parallel [
             (set (mem:SI (reg:SI 5 r5)
                 (fix:SI (reg:DF 33 f1)))
             (clobber (reg:DI 121))]
which is what I want.
(Not that it has anything to do with this problem, but why is the
scratch
reg DI not DF?)

* Re: store double-cvtd-to-int to memory
@ 2003-03-14 21:24     ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2003-03-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: David Edelsohn, gcc

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:51:22AM -0800, Dale Johannesen wrote:
> For the case where it goes in a register, however, you do.
> (It looks like this is not so on Alpha?)

Well, Alpha's a bit different.  We can convert to DImode
without memory, but truncating to SImode needs special
care.  Without the above pattern, we'd store the DImode
back to the stack, load with an integer register, then
store the truncated value.

So the match is for an SImode store to memory.

But the concept should be the same.

> So removing op3 from the above pattern results in another pattern
> that combine won't generate, because the original
> fix_truncdfsi2 pattern does have the temp, and needs it.

Um, that's wrong.  Part of what combine does is to discard
clobbers and add them back as needed.  Why isn't that happening?

r~

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 16:55 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-12-08 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pkoning; +Cc: gcc

    FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not mark or claim
    "PL/1" as trademark.

But certainly some did.  And contemporary lore was that they trademarked PL/2,
PL/3, etc ...

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 17:03 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-12-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: pkoning, gcc

Richard Kenner wrote:

>     FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not mark or claim
>     "PL/1" as trademark.
>
> But certainly some did.  And contemporary lore was that they trademarked PL/2,
> PL/3, etc ...

Hmm, Richard, what is your authority/reference for this? I can find no
evidence that PL/I was trademarked. I very much doubt that PL/1 is
trademarked since IBM always uses PL/I (letter I), not PL/1 (digit 1) in
their product literature

As for PL/2 etc, that's surely bogus, since such names were never used
in commerce (a requirement for trademarking something!)

If you google on PL/I you will find zillions of references from third
parties with no hint of a trademark, so I think you can safetly talk
about GNU PL/1 without worrying!

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 17:40   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-12-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: Richard Kenner, pkoning, gcc

Robert Dewar writes:

 > If you google on PL/I you will find zillions of references from third
 > parties with no hint of a trademark, so I think you can safetly talk
 > about GNU PL/1 without worrying!

Trademark law is complex, I strongly advise against anyone giving
amateur legal opinions in this area :-)

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 18:37 ` Dale Johannesen
       [not found]   ` <dalej@apple.com>
From: Dale Johannesen @ 2003-12-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc, pkoning, Dale Johannesen

On Dec 8, 2003, at 8:32 AM, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not mark or
> claim
>     "PL/1" as trademark.
>
> But certainly some did.  And contemporary lore was that they
> trademarked PL/2,
> PL/3, etc ...

I've heard this also, but it may well be a myth.   Here
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/v5pdf/DFSI10C6.PDF.
is an IBM manual, which talks about PL/I and contains a list of IBM
trademarks (p. 13 according to Acrobat, or xi according to the
document),
and PL/I is not one of them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 710 bytes --]

On Dec 8, 2003, at 8:32 AM, Richard Kenner wrote:

<excerpt>    FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not
mark or claim

    "PL/1" as trademark.

But certainly some did.  And contemporary lore was that they
trademarked PL/2,

PL/3, etc ...

</excerpt>

I've heard this also, but it may well be a myth.   Here

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>is an IBM manual, which talks about PL/I

@ 2003-12-08 19:15     ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 2003-12-08 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

search at www.uspto.gov doesn't turn up any current or historical
trademarks for "pl/1" or "pl/i" or "pl/2" by IBM.  not sure the
limitations of that database, but it does include dead trademarks
earlier than 1960.

* Re: [GCC] Re: Name of front-end
       [not found]   ` <dalej@apple.com>
@ 2003-12-08 20:06   ` Trevor Jenkins
From: Trevor Jenkins @ 2003-12-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnu Compiler Collection Hackers

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Dale Johannesen <dalej@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2003, at 8:32 AM, Richard Kenner wrote:
> > FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not mark or
> > claim "PL/1" as trademark.
> >
> > But certainly some did.  And contemporary lore was that they
> > trademarked PL/2,
> > PL/3, etc ...
>
> I've heard this also, but it may well be a myth.   Here
> http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/ims/v5pdf/DFSI10C6.PDF.

Looking through the September 2002 ediion of the Visual Age PL/1 Language
Reference Manual, which is available via a similar URL, the list of IBM
trademarks is slightly different. Including, probably much to Sony's
chagrine, PS/2. But as with the one cited above does not mention PL/1.

An anecdotal appeal to a single source isn't sufficient.

It should be borne in mind that these manuals are copyright by IBM.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 23:44     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-12-08 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Richard Kenner, pkoning, gcc

Andrew Haley wrote:

> Robert Dewar writes:
>
>  > If you google on PL/I you will find zillions of references from third
>  > parties with no hint of a trademark, so I think you can safetly talk
>  > about GNU PL/1 without worrying!
>
> Trademark law is complex, I strongly advise against anyone giving
> amateur legal opinions in this area :-)

Umm, I don't think you need a lawyer to tell you that it a name is
not trademarked, then using it will not be a trademark infringement :-)

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 23:51       ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2003-12-08 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: Andrew Haley, Richard Kenner, pkoning, gcc

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 00:31, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Umm, I don't think you need a lawyer to tell you that it a name is
> not trademarked, then using it will not be a trademark infringement :-)

Sure, ask the MobiliX folks. MobiliX is not trademarked, Asterix
and Obelix are, since the words are "close enough" German courts
ruled that they were violating the existing trademarks.

Now you've just expanded the "name is not trademarked" by
"name is not close enough from existing trademark following existing
rulings in various countries", and you need a lawyer
to do the search. (MobiliX is trying to get the ruling
reversed in various ways, estimated legal cost is around 60 000 USD).

Unfortunate state of affair.

Laurent

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-09  0:00       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: gcc, pkoning, Richard Kenner, Andrew Haley

On Dec 8, 2003, at 6:31 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:

> Andrew Haley wrote:
>
>> Robert Dewar writes:
>>  > If you google on PL/I you will find zillions of references from
>> third
>>  > parties with no hint of a trademark, so I think you can safetly
>> talk
>>  > about GNU PL/1 without worrying!
>> Trademark law is complex, I strongly advise against anyone giving
>> amateur legal opinions in this area :-)
>
> Umm, I don't think you need a lawyer to tell you that it a name is
> not trademarked, then using it will not be a trademark infringement :-)

Remember, just because it's not a *registered* trademark, doesn't make
it not a trademark. You simply have to use it in trade for it to be a
trademark. Though of course, registration gives you benefits. In the
US, anyway.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/register.htm

(The PTO, BTW, has the most worthless website on the planet. They made
it look nicer recently, but didn't make any information easier to
access. Zen and the art of redesigning government websites, i guess).

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-09  1:32         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-12-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent GUERBY; +Cc: Andrew Haley, Richard Kenner, pkoning, gcc

Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 00:31, Robert Dewar wrote:
>
>>Umm, I don't think you need a lawyer to tell you that it a name is
>>not trademarked, then using it will not be a trademark infringement :-)
>

> Sure, ask the MobiliX folks. MobiliX is not trademarked, Asterix
> and Obelix are, since the words are "close enough" German courts
> ruled that they were violating the existing trademarks.

Indeed the german courts are rather notorious here. My comments are
strictly with respect to US case law :-)

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-09 15:37   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-12-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Maurice Faubert; +Cc: gcc

> I'm not a lawyer, but I'd point out that an ANSI standard for PL/I exists
> (ANSI X3.53-1976) and that non-IBM compilers for the language exist(ed),
> e.g., VAX.  IBM contributed to the ANSI standard which, from a quick
> skimming of its introductory text, contains no information that the name
> is trademarked or is used with IBM's approval.  That prior practice would
> indicate that PL/I is in the public domain as the name of programming
> language.

Exactly ...

* Re: Name of front-end
       [not found] <1070947232.17483.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-09 14:26 ` Victor Maurice Faubert
From: Victor Maurice Faubert @ 2003-12-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2003-12-08 17:11       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-12-08 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Henrik Sorensen, Andreas Jaeger, gcc

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 06:42:26PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Henrik Sorensen wrote:
> > But does it matter for the name of the front-end, whether or not the
> > copyright has been assigned ?
>
> No necessarily, as far as I know.  However, you must not call any software
> "GNU Something" unless the FSF explicitly approved that, so you should do
> that first.

Unfortunately, since the FSF allowed gnuplot to get away with it, their
ability to stop others is in question.  Given this history, I would still
say that we should strongly REQUEST people not to use "GNU XYZ" without
talking to the FSF, as it will only confuse the public.

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-08 15:28   ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2003-12-08 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aph; +Cc: henrik.sorensen, gcc

 Andrew> Is PL/1 a trademark?

FWIW, some IBM 360 PL/1 manuals I just looked at do not mark or claim
"PL/1" as trademark.

       paul

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-07  9:15       ` Henrik Sorensen
From: Henrik Sorensen @ 2003-12-07  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

On Saturday 06 December 2003 18:42, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Henrik Sorensen wrote:
> > But does it matter for the name of the front-end, whether or not the
> > copyright has been assigned ?
>
> No necessarily, as far as I know.  However, you must not call any software
> "GNU Something" unless the FSF explicitly approved that, so you should do
> that first.
That's one of the reasons I ask.

Anyway, I got enough answers that basically all say the same thing, that the
copyrigths ought to be assigned to FSF.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain.html#SEC_Top

> Gerald

Thanks to all who replied

Henrik

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 20:45     ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 2003-12-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

In article <Pine.BSF.4.58.0312061840220.28341@acrux.dbai.tuwien.ac.at> you write:
>On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Henrik Sorensen wrote:
>> But does it matter for the name of the front-end, whether or not the
>> copyright has been assigned ?
>
>No necessarily, as far as I know.  However, you must not call any software
>"GNU Something" unless the FSF explicitly approved that, so you should do
>that first.

'Must not', or 'should not' ? Is GNU registered as a trademark or something
that prevents its use like this ? And then what should the status of
gnuplot be ?

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 18:23     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-12-06 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Sorensen; +Cc: Andreas Jaeger, gcc

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Henrik Sorensen wrote:
> But does it matter for the name of the front-end, whether or not the
> copyright has been assigned ?

No necessarily, as far as I know.  However, you must not call any software
"GNU Something" unless the FSF explicitly approved that, so you should do
that first.

(I don't have the link handy, but I'm quite sure there is something on the
main GNU site at http://www.gnu.org.)

Hope this helps,
Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 16:41     ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2003-12-06 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henrik.sorensen; +Cc: Andreas Jaeger, gcc

Henrik Sorensen wrote:

>>>Would there be any objections against naming the compiler front-end the
>>>"GNU PL/1 compiler" ?
>>
>>What's the copyright situation of the code?  Did you assign it to the
>>FSF?

> Currently I have not assigned the copyrigths, but this is clearly my
> intentions. But to be honest, there isn't much going on in pl1 the compiler
> yet. It is basically just a scanner and parser that gets invoked from gcc.

That was the state of GNU Fortran 95 four years go - yet Andy Vaught,
its author, assigned copyrights to the FSF.  It makes it clear where
you're heading w.r.t inclusion into the official GCC repository.

Hope this helps,

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ (under construction)

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 14:39   ` Henrik Sorensen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Henrik Sorensen @ 2003-12-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: gcc

> > Would there be any objections against naming the compiler front-end the
> > "GNU PL/1 compiler" ?
> What's the copyright situation of the code?  Did you assign it to the
> FSF?

Currently I have not assigned the copyrigths, but this is clearly my
intentions. But to be honest, there isn't much going on in pl1 the compiler
yet. It is basically just a scanner and parser that gets invoked from gcc.
There is still a very long way to have a workable compiler, let alone, having
it ready for inclussion in the gcc main tree. I would get the assignment of
copyrights going, only when I actually had something working to show.

But does it matter for the name of the front-end, whether or not the copyright
has been assigned ?

> > And name the directory for the pl/1 compiler for gnupl1 ?
> If you like to integrate it into GCC, the directory name would most
> probably be just pl1, see the other frontends that GCC has.

Good point. I will keep it as pl1.

> Andreas

Thanks
Henrik

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 14:31   ` Henrik Sorensen
From: Henrik Sorensen @ 2003-12-06 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc

>  > Would there be any objections against naming the compiler front-end the
>  > "GNU PL/1 compiler" ?
>  >

> Is PL/1 a trademark?  If it is, you'll have to call it something like
> "The GNU compiler for the PL/1 programming language."

Trademark or not, I do like your suggestion

> Andrew.
Thanks
Henrik

* Re: Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 14:24   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-12-06 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Henrik Sorensen, gcc

@ 2003-12-06 13:47 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2003-12-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henrik.sorensen; +Cc: gcc

Henrik Sorensen <henrik.sorensen@balcab.ch> writes:

> For more some time now, I have been working on a gpl'ed PL/1 front-end for
> GCC, well, just a few hours every week.
>
> Would there be any objections against naming the compiler front-end the
> "GNU PL/1 compiler" ?

What's the copyright situation of the code?  Did you assign it to the
FSF?

> And name the directory for the pl/1 compiler for gnupl1 ?

If you like to integrate it into GCC, the directory name would most
probably be just pl1, see the other frontends that GCC has.

> I first thought of gpl1, but it seems gpl is already used ;-)

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Name of front-end
@ 2003-12-06 11:31 ` Andrew Haley
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-12-06 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)