* Which gcc is the most stable today ?
@ 2003-12-09  9:46 The Penguine
From: The Penguine @ 2003-12-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
I'm want to release an application in linux - after porting everything to
linux RH7.3  .
I've heard that the gcc 2.96  has MANY bugs , and is not recommended to use
.

Can anyone please recommend about a reliable and a stable gcc version which
is the best to use today .

Thanks,
Itai Shemesh.
the_penguine@hotmail.com

* Re: Which gcc is the most stable today ?
@ 2003-12-09 15:43 ` Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2003-12-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Penguine, gcc

 > Hi,
 > I'm want to release an application in linux - after porting
everything to linux RH7.3 .
 > I've heard that the gcc 2.96 has MANY bugs , and is not recommended
to use .

 > Can anyone please recommend about a reliable and a stable gcc version
which is the best to use today .

GCC 2.96 was not an officially released compiler from the GCC team.
That was a Redhat only version.

As stated at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3, GCC 3.3.2 is the current stable
release.  It is available in source code from links on that page.

If you wish, you can google for pre-built binary RPMs of GCC 3.3.2 that
are available for your Redhat 7.3 release.

Kelley Cook

* Re: Which gcc is the most stable today ?
@ 2003-12-10  6:04 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2003-12-10  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Penguine; +Cc: gcc

The Penguine wrote:
> I'm want to release an application in linux - after porting everything
> to linux RH7.3  .
> I've heard that the gcc 2.96  has MANY bugs , and is not recommended to
> use .

The best compiler to use is often the compiler that came with the OS,
which would be the Red Hat gcc-2.96 in your case.  If you try to use
another compiler, you may run into ABI issues, versioning problems with
the assembler, linker, glibc, etc.  These are solvable issues, but not
ones that a naive user should try to tackle.

Early releases of the Red Hat gcc-2.96 compiler shipped with RHL 7.0
were rather buggy.  However, the later updated releases are fine.  Since
you have RHL 7.3, the Red Hat gcc-2.96 release that you have should be fine.

* Re: Which gcc is the most stable today ?
@ 2003-12-10 19:27   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-12-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: The Penguine, gcc

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:59:29PM -0800, Jim Wilson wrote:
> The best compiler to use is often the compiler that came with the OS,
> which would be the Red Hat gcc-2.96 in your case.

For C, this is true (the OS's compiler is fine); however, for C++, I would
strongly urge that no 2.x release be used for new development.  Lack of a
proper std namespace is a substantial issue, and you'll pay substantial
costs down the road if you proceed to whack out a lot of nonstandard,
broken code that 2.96 will accept but no other compiler will.

2.95.x and Red Hat's 2.96 do have a mechanism to fake the existence of
a std namespace, which allows many standard programs to compile.  This
means that it can work to develop code that runs on 2.96, but you also
need to be sure that it builds with a proper C++ compiler.