* Exception and pthread on HPUX
@ 2004-03-17 18:19 Michael GZ
From: Michael GZ @ 2004-03-17 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi

Anybody here has experience with working GCC on HPUX.
Is there anything special to handle exception in a
multi-threaded application running on HPUX 11.00.

My application is a kind of complex multi-threaded
server with a lot of network communications. Currently
my problem is that whenever there is an exception
raised, the application got core dump. I tried to
ignore several signals such SIGSEG, etc, still the
same thing.

We used to compile our application several months ago
with old gcc, it was working perfercetly. Unforunatly,
the old gcc got overwritten by new installation.

Environment:
HPUX 11:00
GCC 3.3.2 (I downloaded from HPUX porting center)

Thanks in advance

Michael

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Exception and pthread on HPUX
@ 2004-03-23 21:41     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-03-23 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, Michael GZ, gcc

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

> Michael GZ wrote:
>> >Anybody here has experience with working GCC on HPUX.
>> >Is there anything special to handle exception in a
>> >multi-threaded application running on HPUX 11.00.
>> >Environment:
>> >HPUX 11:00
>> >GCC 3.3.2 (I downloaded from HPUX porting center)
>
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:38:36AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> There is an HP-UX libunwind patch that you should install.  That
>> libunwind patch fixes a number of SEGVs during exception unwinding.
>>
>> Zack, do you have the README with that linker patch number?

I only have patch numbers for HP-UX 11.22 and 11.23.  I don't know if
equivalent patches exist for 11.00 or 11.11.

<http://itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHSS_30215>  (11.22)
<http://itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHSS_30017>  (11.23)

> We should add a pointer to the HP-UX patch to
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html
>
> (or to whatever texinfo file is used to generate that page).

I can do that later this afternoon; feel free to beat me to it.

zw

* Re: Exception and pthread on HPUX
@ 2004-03-23 21:00   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-03-23 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: Michael GZ, gcc, zack

@ 2004-03-23 20:49 ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-03-23 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael GZ; +Cc: gcc, zack

Michael GZ wrote:

>Hi
>
>Anybody here has experience with working GCC on HPUX.
>Is there anything special to handle exception in a
>multi-threaded application running on HPUX 11.00.
>
>My application is a kind of complex multi-threaded
>server with a lot of network communications. Currently
>my problem is that whenever there is an exception
>raised, the application got core dump. I tried to
>ignore several signals such SIGSEG, etc, still the
>same thing.
>
>We used to compile our application several months ago
>with old gcc, it was working perfercetly. Unforunatly,
>the old gcc got overwritten by new installation.
>

>Environment:
>HPUX 11:00
>GCC 3.3.2 (I downloaded from HPUX porting center)

There is an HP-UX libunwind patch that you should install.  That
libunwind patch fixes a number of SEGVs during exception unwinding.

Zack, do you have the README with that linker patch number?

Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC
(916) 791-8304
mark@codesourcery.com