From: Gabriel Paubert <paubert@iram.es>
To: Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com>
Cc: Arnaud Charlet <charlet@ACT-Europe.FR>,
	Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: gcc 3.4 - gnatmake has wrong gcc name
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:59:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:17:46AM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Looks to me that hist handling of VMS versioning is breaking all
> versioned hosts.  What is
> the regular pattern for their versioned names?

I believe something like the following (for grep-E or awk):

	.*\..*\;[0-9]+

would work, but I'm not an expert at regular expressions,
resorting far too often to trial and error until it works
for the specific case at hand.

So here are the rules (I'm still using VMS on a VAX
a bit too much for my taste).

All filenames are of the form:

	name.type;version

after stripping the possible node::device:[directory]
preceding them.

Name amd type are 1 to 38 characters, case is ignored, and
very few characters are accepted outside of digits and letters.
Only one dot is allowed, between name and type.

version is string of decimal digits, valid values
for an existing file are 1 to 32767, but the file
system also interprets 0 as the latest version,  -1
as next to last, etc...

Finally you can use either a semicolon or a dot
between the name and the type when the type is specified.
(To print a file without type on the screen, you have
to type "TYPE FILE.", otherwise it will try to use a
default extension for the command, .LIS in this case AFAIR)

In directory listings and file searches, the dot and the semicolon
are always present, letters are always in uppercase. (But you can
create a file called ".;1", with empty name and type fields, which
causes some funny things when an ftp program tries to transfer
it to a Unix machine and strips the ;1 part).

	Regards,
	Gabriel

P.S.: Just reading how to open a file on VMS with the medium
level calls (RMS) will make your head hurt. Trying to understand
the low level calls will make you insane.