* Vector problems with GCC 3.4
@ 2004-03-01  2:29 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-03-01  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aldyh; +Cc: gcc

Aldy --

There are three PRs relating to problems with vector instructions in
GCC 3.4:

  PR 11983
  PR 14219
  PR 14343

All of these are pretty serious problems: they're going to impact real
people using the compiler.  Would you please take a look and see if
you can address any of these issues?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Vector problems with GCC 3.4
@ 2004-03-01  3:00 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2004-03-01  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: gcc, Andrew Pinski, aldyh

On Feb 29, 2004, at 18:29, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Aldy --
>
> There are three PRs relating to problems with vector instructions in
> GCC 3.4:

Well this one needs a debuging (really dwarf-2) expect as it is the
question here
is how should const_vector be represented in dwarf-2/3:
>   PR 11983

The question with this one is should we be rejecting the compare if not
should we
be supplying the corresponding generic infrastructure:
>   PR 14219

This is an x86 problem and not related to vectors at all really, it
most likely also fails
in 3.3.3 which I did not test:
>   PR 14343

(Also note I think the previous PR was caused by:
2004-01-09  Richard Henderson  <rth@redhat.com>

         * recog.c (constrain_operands): Validate mem operands.
But is laten target bug. )

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

* Re: Vector problems with GCC 3.4
@ 2004-03-01  4:14   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-03-01  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: gcc, aldyh

Andrew Pinski wrote:

> On Feb 29, 2004, at 18:29, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>

>> Aldy --
>>
>> There are three PRs relating to problems with vector instructions in
>> GCC 3.4:
>>
> Well this one needs a debuging (really dwarf-2) expect as it is the
> question here
> is how should const_vector be represented in dwarf-2/3:

It's too easy to try to push that bug away like that.

There may not be an obvious representation for DWARF2.  We're certainly
not going to get an "official" answer very quickly.

In that case, perhaps no debugging info at all should be generated.

It's not a good approach just to punt -- at present, if some vector
stuff appears in a header somewhere that gets included by GCC, we fall over.

Aldy would be an excellent person to look at all three of these PRs.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

@ 2004-03-01  4:20     ` Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2004-03-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

> Aldy would be an excellent person to look at all three of these PRs.

I'm in the middle of a time consuming release right now, but I should
get some breathing space later this week, at which point I'd be glad
to work on them.

Aldy

* Re: Vector problems with GCC 3.4
@ 2004-03-01  4:39       ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-03-01  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldy Hernandez; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

Aldy Hernandez wrote:

>>Aldy would be an excellent person to look at all three of these PRs.
>>

>I'm in the middle of a time consuming release right now, but I should
>get some breathing space later this week, at which point I'd be glad
>to work on them.

Good.  Thank you!

--

@ 2004-03-26  1:33     ` Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2004-03-26  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

Well lucky me.  All but one of the PRs got fixed in my absence, and I
have submitted a patch for the remaining PR (14219).

Aldy