* Re: problems with subversions.gcc.org
       [not found] <20040331171241.1216.qmail@web21322.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2004-04-01  6:37 ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 2004-04-01  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 20:12, George R Goffe wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to use the contrib/gcc_update script that has been
> working for me for some time now. I've been away from "gcc" for
> about a year or so and am trying to update my gcc repository. The
> cvs update clanks right along but then stalls out in the SAME area
> every time (7 tries so far). The last file processsed (listed) is
> gcc/objc/objc-parse.
>
> Is subversions having troubles?

I have similar problem with subversions.gnu.org. CVS update (run from
gcc_update script) gets stuck in directory libjava/java/awk. As the default
options for CVS are -Pd, then I removed this directory and rerun update.
This time directory were created, but no files retrieved, it simply gets stuck
for a long time.

Inside directory libjava/java/awt/CVS:

file Entries is empty
file Entries.log is also empty
file Repository contains 'gcc/libjava/java/awt'
file Root contains ':ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc'
file Tag contains 'Tgcc-3_4-branch'

Andris

* Re: problems with subversions.gcc.org
       [not found] <NUTMEGRE3Lzo4aELhfp000002d8@NUTMEG.CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
@ 2004-04-01  5:59 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-04-01  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: gcc

"Dave Korn" <dk@artimi.com> writes:

>   Alternatively, I experienced a similar phenomenon with sources.redhat.com
> earlier today.  By about the third or fourth try I decided to just leave it
> for as long as it took.  It turned out that I just wasn't waiting long
> enough before deciding it had failed:  after about five or ten minutes of
> being seemingly stalled and no network traffic arriving, my update continued
> and completed successfully.  I think it's an aspect of the behaviour of CVS
> under heavy load, that users will experience long pauses.

This is expected when using pserver mode in CVS.  We have 10 open
slots for pserver CVS on sources.redhat.com.  If all the slots are
taken, incoming connections are accepted and then stalled until one of
the 10 slots becomes free.

Ian