* Cross compiling
@ 2004-09-05 11:26 Paul A. Kerr
From: Paul A. Kerr @ 2004-09-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi, my name is Paul.

I have been trying to find information on how to "cross
compiling".
What I am actually trying to do is compile linux on an I686
for a Dec alpha server.

Is this possible?
If so where can I find the information?

Best regards
Paul A. Kerr
Phone: +27 (0)83 326 5209
Fax: 0866401539
E-mail stardust@starmail.co.za
For super low premiums ,click here http://www.dialdirect.co.za/quote

* Re: Cross compiling
@ 2004-09-05 11:35 ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2004-09-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sunday 05 Sep 2004 12:25, Paul A. Kerr wrote:
> Hi, my name is Paul.
>
> I have been trying to find information on how to "cross
> compiling".
> What I am actually trying to do is compile linux on an I686
> for a Dec alpha server.
>
> Is this possible?
> If so where can I find the information?

http://kegel.com/crosstool/

Andrew Walrond

* re: cross compiling
@ 2005-03-01 20:52 Daniel Kegel
From: Daniel Kegel @ 2005-03-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vike_justdoit, gcc

vivek sukumaran <vike_justdoit@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Are there any ready to use gcc rpms for,
>  host:x-86,redhat9.0
>  target:alpha

The right mailing list to ask is the one at
    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/
When you do post there, be sure to mention what OS
the target will be running.

If the target is alpha-linux, you might want to build
your own using http://kegel.com/crosstool
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/buildlogs/0.28/
shows that crosstool-0.28-rc37 builds at least semi-working
alpha-linux toolchains.
- Dan

* cross compiling
@ 2005-03-01  6:54 vivek sukumaran
From: vivek sukumaran @ 2005-03-01  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Are there any ready to use gcc rpms for,
host:x-86,redhat9.0
target:alpha

thanking you
vivek

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

* Re: Cross compiling
@ 2000-03-09 17:33 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: POUGET Patrick; +Cc: gcc

On Mar  9, 2000, POUGET Patrick <pouget@francenet.fr> wrote:

> I have currently 2.8.1 version of the gcc compiler. The archive seems to
> be able to recompile on another plateform, but I would like to know how
> to compile on the i386 a software to be used on m68k or ppc.

You'd have to start by building a cross compiler.  Somewhere in the
GCC web site there's a link to a `Cross GCC FAQ'; you could start by
taking a look at it.

--
Alexandre Oliva     http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/     Enjoy Guaraná
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com

* Cross compiling
@ 2000-03-09 13:30 POUGET Patrick
From: POUGET Patrick @ 2000-03-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have currently 2.8.1 version of the gcc compiler. The archive seems to
be able to recompile on another plateform, but I would like to know how
to compile on the i386 a software to be used on m68k or ppc.

Thanks

* Cross compiling
@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Larbi El Hajjaoui
From: Larbi El Hajjaoui @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: elhajjaoui, Larbi El Hajjaoui

Hi,

when I try to build cross compiler gcc on linux "host" for mips "target", I
get one error message in the last stage:
before to build gcc I already buld and install binutils 2.91.05 for mips

  _m16addsf3
xgcc: installation problem, cannot exec `mips-tfile': no such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc1-asm.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/larbi/gcc-2.95.1/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Thank's for help

* Cross compiling
@ 1999-10-11 12:01 Larbi El Hajjaoui
From: Larbi El Hajjaoui @ 1999-10-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: elhajjaoui, Larbi El Hajjaoui

Hi,

when I try to build cross compiler gcc on linux "host" for mips "target", I
get one error message in the last stage:
before to build gcc I already buld and install binutils 2.91.05 for mips

  _m16addsf3
xgcc: installation problem, cannot exec `mips-tfile': no such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc1-asm.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/larbi/gcc-2.95.1/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Thank's for help

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-31 23:20         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 04:16:38PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   In message < 19990816180939.A588@them.org >you write:
>   > Is there any way to configure which will not require the libraries?
>   > For instance, if you have no library for the target system?
> No.  The autoconf mechanisms for libiberty, libstdc++, libf2c, libobjc
> require system libraries.

Hm, but is it possible to build a target C compiler without a target
libiberty (obviously you'd need a host libiberty but that isn't a
problem)?

>   > Will libgcc build with just the headers for the target?
> Yes.
>

> jeff

Dan

From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 02:35:44PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   In message < Pine.LNX.4.10.9908161402380.19574-100000@m.wolfram.com >you write:
>   > I'm trying to build a cross-compiler from a Red Hat Linux system to a
>   > Cygwin system (this is actually the first of several cross-compilers I'm
>   > trying to build, so prebuilt packages won't help).  Anyway, here is the
>   > process I'm going through
> You have to provide header files and libraries for your target system.
> Please read the installation instructions.
>
> jeff

Is there any way to configure which will not require the libraries?
For instance, if you have no library for the target system?

Will libgcc build with just the headers for the target?

This has become a FAQ, and the crossgcc document is badly in need of
updates (which I would volunteer if I knew the answers).

Dan

* Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-31 23:20 ` Jonathan Bartlett
From: Jonathan Bartlett @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm trying to build a cross-compiler from a Red Hat Linux system to a
Cygwin system (this is actually the first of several cross-compilers I'm
trying to build, so prebuilt packages won't help).  Anyway, here is the
process I'm going through

mkdir build_binutils
cd build_binutils
../binutils-2.9.1/configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
	--target=i586-pc-cygwin32 \
	--prefix=/home/johnnyb/cross
make
make install

mkdir build_gcc
cd build_gcc
../gcc-2.95/configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=i586-pc-cygwin32 \
	--prefix=/home/johnnyb/cross --without-headers

With this configuration issuing make gives me this error:

  /home/johnnyb/build_gcc/gcc/xgcc -B/home/johnnyb/build_gcc/gcc/
-B/usr/local/i586-pc-cygwin32/bin/ -I/usr/local/i586-pc-cygwin32/include
-O2 -I../../gcc-2.95/gcc/../winsup/include -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC     -g
-O2 -I./include   -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED   -I.
-I../../gcc-2.95/gcc -I../../gcc-2.95/gcc/config
-I../../gcc-2.95/gcc/../include -c -DL${name} \
       ../../gcc-2.95/gcc/libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  i586-pc-cygwin32-ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
../../gcc-2.95/gcc/libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-2.95/gcc/libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johnnyb/build_gcc/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

However, if I specify that I'm going to use newlib, with --with-newlib, I
get:
_lshrdi3
_ashldi3
_ashrdi3
_ffsdi2
_udiv_w_sdiv
_udivmoddi4
_cmpdi2
_ucmpdi2
_floatdidf
_floatdisf
_fixunsdfsi
In file included from include/syslimits.h:7,
                 from include/limits.h:11,
                 from ../../gcc-2.95/gcc/libgcc2.c:1105:
/home/johnnyb/build_gcc/gcc/include/limits.h:117: limits.h: No such file
or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johnnyb/build_gcc/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

I think this is all caused because I don't have newlib installed for that
platform.  However, I can't install newlib for that platform until I have
GCC built.  Any ideas?  Am I just doing it wrong?

Jonathan Bartlett

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-31 23:20   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bartlett; +Cc: gcc

From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-08-31 23:20       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gcc

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:
> Is there any way to configure which will not require the libraries?
> For instance, if you have no library for the target system?
>
> Will libgcc build with just the headers for the target?

Depends on the target. You may not be able to build libgcc.a when
cross-compiling for some targets; for others, having just the target
headers will suffice.

> This has become a FAQ, and the crossgcc document is badly in need of
> updates (which I would volunteer if I knew the answers).

You may want to check out the various howtos at
  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

The linux->cygwin cross assumes you have the Cygwin development tree
already installs. If you look at the linux->mingw howto, it shows how
and what to install for the target environment (headers/libs); the
latest one, cygwin->linux, gives more details.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-31 23:20           ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

>Hm, but is it possible to build a target C compiler without a target
>libiberty (obviously you'd need a host libiberty but that isn't a
>problem)?

Yes.  You can, in extremis, bootstrap a system in a piecemeal fashion if you
don't have any prebuilt libraries available.

p.

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-22 14:44         ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 1999-08-22 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1999-08-16 18:42       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 1999-08-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 04:16:38PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   In message < 19990816180939.A588@them.org >you write:
>   > Is there any way to configure which will not require the libraries?
>   > For instance, if you have no library for the target system?
> No.  The autoconf mechanisms for libiberty, libstdc++, libf2c, libobjc
> require system libraries.

Hm, but is it possible to build a target C compiler without a target
libiberty (obviously you'd need a host libiberty but that isn't a
problem)?

>   > Will libgcc build with just the headers for the target?
> Yes.
>

> jeff

Dan

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-16 15:21     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-08-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-08-16 15:12     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-16 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gcc

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:
> Is there any way to configure which will not require the libraries?
> For instance, if you have no library for the target system?
>
> Will libgcc build with just the headers for the target?

Depends on the target. You may not be able to build libgcc.a when
cross-compiling for some targets; for others, having just the target
headers will suffice.

> This has become a FAQ, and the crossgcc document is badly in need of
> updates (which I would volunteer if I knew the answers).

You may want to check out the various howtos at
  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

The linux->cygwin cross assumes you have the Cygwin development tree
already installs. If you look at the linux->mingw howto, it shows how
and what to install for the target environment (headers/libs); the
latest one, cygwin->linux, gives more details.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1999-08-16 15:07   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 1999-08-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1999-08-16 13:40 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-08-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bartlett; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-08-16 13:29 Jonathan Bartlett
From: Jonathan Bartlett @ 1999-08-16 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1998-04-21 19:10   ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-04-21 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: alexandr, egcs

> I don't know how easily this works with glibc though, as I have never tried
> that.  Most people use newlib for cross compilers to embedded targets.

It is possible to cross-compile glibc. I have done that. But I never
did a one-pass cross-compile to build binutils, glibc and egcs. I
am afraid cross-compiling glibc may require a different approach
which may not be compatible with cross-compiling binutils and egcs.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* RE: Cross Compiling
@ 1998-04-21 17:38 Jerry Alexandratos
From: Jerry Alexandratos @ 1998-04-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: alexandr, egcs

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:24:37 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu>

: Building a cross compiler is not as easy as it should be yet.  This is
: something that we are hoping to have fixed for the egcs 1.1 release.

Let me guess...Don't ask we don't know exactly when it'll be out.  8)

: You should be able to put everything in subdirs and do a one-pass build.
: However, this probably requires working around various bugs.
:
: I don't know how easily this works with glibc though, as I have never tried
: that.  Most people use newlib for cross compilers to embedded targets.

I'd love to use newlib.  However, I'm FreeBSD and newlib doesn't seem to
support that OS.  8(

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos              % - %  "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu         % - %   thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu  % - %   drives my desires."    (8

* Re: Cross Compiling
@ 1998-04-21 13:29 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-04-21 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexandr; +Cc: egcs

Building a cross compiler is not as easy as it should be yet.  This is
something that we are hoping to have fixed for the egcs 1.1 release.

	How do I setup to compile?  Should I extract and build each step
	separately (binutils, egcs, glibc) or do I make a single directory
	structure?  I was under the impression that I could do a one-pass build
	by putting all of the appropriate subdirs from binutils and glibc into
	the egcs directory and then doing a "make cross."  Am I correct?

You should be able to put everything in subdirs and do a one-pass build.
However, this probably requires working around various bugs.

I don't know how easily this works with glibc though, as I have never tried
that.  Most people use newlib for cross compilers to embedded targets.

Jim

* Cross Compiling
@ 1998-04-20 12:05 Jerry Alexandratos
From: Jerry Alexandratos @ 1998-04-20 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi, I'm hoping that I can get some clarification here.  I've read the
FAQ on using egcs as a cross-compiler and I'm still in the dark.

How do I setup to compile?  Should I extract and build each step
separately (binutils, egcs, glibc) or do I make a single directory
structure?  I was under the impression that I could do a one-pass build
by putting all of the appropriate subdirs from binutils and glibc into
the egcs directory and then doing a "make cross."  Am I correct?

Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.