From: Jan Hubicka <hubicka@ucw.cz>
To: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC Status Report (2004-09-13)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> --
> Mark Mitchell
> CodeSourcery, LLC
> (916) 791-8304
> mark@codesourcery.com
>

> GCC 3.4.3
> =========
>
> I plan to do a GCC 3.4.3 release on or about November 1st, as
> expected.  We seem to be reaching a pretty stable state on the GCC
> 3.4.x branch, and we'll continue to apply conservative fixes for
> regressions there.
>
> GCC 4.0
> =======
>
> There are 142 bugs targeted at GCC 4.0 -- which is not too bad, and
> it's nice to see that RTH and others are swatting these bugs at a
> pretty rapid pace.  I'm happy to see that only 32 of the bugs are
> optimization bugs; those are often the hardest to fix.  Unfortunately,
> some significant fraction of the 107 bugs targeted at 3.4.3 are also
> GCC 4.0 bugs.
>
> =======
>
> Here is an update on the GCC projects for 4.0, as previously posted.
>
> What is the status of:
>
> * Tree-based branch prediction [Hubicka]
>
>   September 5
>
> ?
>
> I lost track of this project.

The patches are ready and I've just sent two for integration (one you
responded to), other three (return value predictors, dom updating fixes
and the overall switch to tree predictors) are in testing and
benchmarking now.  I understand that it is 14th intead of 5th, so if you
want to postnote the project, I won't complain strongly.
My understanding was that projects needs to be done till 29th so I
looked into some of bugfixes and compilation speed/memory issues in
meantime too (since the mainline got into somewhat unstable state) that
somewhat delayed me.

Honza