* [Ada?] Can't build gcc-3.3.5 on rawhide/i686-linux: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
@ 2004-10-06 11:54 Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2004-10-06 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) ia32 pentium III dual i686:

binutils-2.15.92.0.2-2
bison-1.875c-2
dejagnu-1.4.4-2
expect-5.42.1-1
gcc-3.4.2-4
glibc-2.3.3-63
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.87
kernel-2.6.8-1.541
kernel-smp-2.6.8-1.541
tcl-8.4.7-1

LAST_UPDATED: gcc-3.3.5 release

configure: --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-shared

gcc -c -g       -gnatpg -gnata -I- -I. -Iada -I/usr/local/src/branch/gcc/gcc/ada /usr/local/src/branch/gcc/gcc/ada/ada.ads -o ada/ada.o
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Configurable_Run_Time
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Duration_32_Bits
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Exit_Status_Supported
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Support_64_Bit_Divides
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Support_Aggregates
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Support_Composite_Assign
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Support_Composite_Compare
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Support_Long_Shifts
fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
missing line for parameter: Suppress_Standard_Library
compilation abandoned
make[2]: *** [ada/ada.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/branch/objdir/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/branch/objdir/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

I suspect I can't build gnat in gcc-3.3.5 using gcc-3.4.2 then... or?

Cheers,

/ChJ

* Re: [Ada?] Can't build gcc-3.3.5 on rawhide/i686-linux: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
@ 2004-10-12  6:59 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2004-10-12  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Chastain; +Cc: christian, gcc

Michael Chastain wrote:

> I can't see why this would ever be correct -- I think gnat should
> always use its own "system.ads" file from the gnat installation
> directory.

Well it is very unusual to have a private copy of system.ads, but
if you do, it makes sense for the compiler to use it.

* Re: [Ada?] Can't build gcc-3.3.5 on rawhide/i686-linux: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
@ 2004-10-08 15:52 Michael Chastain
From: Michael Chastain @ 2004-10-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christian; +Cc: gcc

chj> I suspect I can't build gnat in gcc-3.3.5 using gcc-3.4.2 then... or?

I've run into this problem too.  Here is a vague recollection:

When gnat starts up, it looks for a system.ads file and reads it in.
Unfortunately, the search strategy for "system.ads" looks in the
program-being-compiled first, so your gnat 3.4.2 is picking up
"system.ads" from whatever program you are compiling.

I can't see why this would ever be correct -- I think gnat should
always use its own "system.ads" file from the gnat installation
directory.

Anyways, that's a vague explanation and it might have errors.
Perhaps a more fluent Ada guy can give a more accurate explanation.

Michael Chastain