* Libunwind and libgcc on ia64
@ 2004-10-17 18:08 Mariusz Mazur
From: Mariusz Mazur @ 2004-10-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On ia64 libgcc.so is linked to libunwind.so, which means (a) libgcc requires
libunwind and (b) anything linking dynamically against libgcc doesn't need to
know or care about libuniwnd.
That changes if one tries to link statically (like my glibc) - then the build
system must explicitly check what gcc we're running and if it's the libunwind
one - add -lunwind.
Wouldn't it be a lot nicer if libgcc.a contained libunwind.a? People wouldn't
have to care about explicit support for ia64.

--
In the year eighty five ten
God is gonna shake his mighty head

* Re: Libunwind and libgcc on ia64
@ 2004-10-18 19:24 ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2004-10-18 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mariusz Mazur; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 05:38:40PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> On ia64 libgcc.so is linked to libunwind.so, which means (a) libgcc requires
> libunwind and (b) anything linking dynamically against libgcc doesn't need to
> know or care about libuniwnd.
> That changes if one tries to link statically (like my glibc) - then the build
> system must explicitly check what gcc we're running and if it's the libunwind
> one - add -lunwind.
> Wouldn't it be a lot nicer if libgcc.a contained libunwind.a? People wouldn't
> have to care about explicit support for ia64.

This should be fixed in gcc 4.0 and 3.4 branch. If it doesn't work
as expected, please open a bug report.

H.J.

* Re: Libunwind and libgcc on ia64
@ 2004-10-18 19:46   ` Mariusz Mazur
From: Mariusz Mazur @ 2004-10-18 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On poniedziaÂłek 18 paÂździernik 2004 19:03, H. J. Lu wrote:
> This should be fixed in gcc 4.0 and 3.4 branch. If it doesn't work
> as expected, please open a bug report.

I've seen a patch for glibc that works around it that's about two-three months
old. So if nobody's going to fix it in a day or two, I'll do it (one way or
another).

--

@ 2004-10-18 19:57     ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2004-10-18 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mariusz Mazur; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:05:20PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> On poniedzia?ek 18 pa?dziernik 2004 19:03, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > This should be fixed in gcc 4.0 and 3.4 branch. If it doesn't work
> > as expected, please open a bug report.
>
> I've seen a patch for glibc that works around it that's about two-three months
> old. So if nobody's going to fix it in a day or two, I'll do it (one way or
> another).

The glibc patch is at

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-09/msg00103.html

H.J.

* Re: Libunwind and libgcc on ia64
@ 2004-10-18 20:31       ` Mariusz Mazur
From: Mariusz Mazur @ 2004-10-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On poniedziaÂłek 18 paÂździernik 2004 21:24, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > I've seen a patch for glibc that works around it that's about two-three
> > months old. So if nobody's going to fix it in a day or two, I'll do it
> > (one way or another).
>
> The glibc patch is at
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-09/msg00103.html

I know. But I'd prefer The Right Thing (tm) - that is having libunwind.a
inside libgcc.a and not having to worry about apps linking statically to
libgcc.a (I'm talking distribution-wide).

--

@ 2004-10-18 21:19         ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2004-10-18 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mariusz Mazur; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:27:01PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> On poniedzia?ek 18 pa?dziernik 2004 21:24, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > > I've seen a patch for glibc that works around it that's about two-three
> > > months old. So if nobody's going to fix it in a day or two, I'll do it
> > > (one way or another).
> >
> > The glibc patch is at
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-09/msg00103.html
>
> I know. But I'd prefer The Right Thing (tm) - that is having libunwind.a
> inside libgcc.a and not having to worry about apps linking statically to
> libgcc.a (I'm talking distribution-wide).

The glibc build is always a special thing. For other applications, you
can use the gcc driver, you shouldn't notice libgcc nor libunwind.
Otherwise, it is a bug.

H.J.