From: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr>
Cc: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Running the compat testsuite in "non-mirror" mode
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 08:16:06AM +0100, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> Hello Janis,
>
> I'd like to automatically run the compat testsuite in "non-mirror" mode on the
> SPARC, to assert internal consistency for vector calling conventions, in
> addition to the regular "mirror" mode.
>
> What is the best approach to achieve that?  Can I duplicate compat.exp and
> override ALT_CC_UNDER_TEST and COMPAT_OPTIONS in a sparc-compat.exp driver?
> Would it be feasible to invoke compat.exp from another driver, for example
> located in the gcc.target/sparc directory?

I'm not sure what you mean by "mirror" and "non-mirror" modes.

When ALT_CC_UNDER_TEST (or ALT_CXX_UNDER_TEST) is defined we build
the following object files:

  x_tst.o and y_tst.o are compiled using CC_UNDER TEST
  x_alt.o and y_alt.o are compiled using ALT_CC_UNDER TEST

Executables are built from each pair:

  x_tst.o and y_tst.o
  x_tst.o and y_alt.o
  x_alt.o and y_tst.o
  x_alt.o and y_alt.o

Everything in the first executable is compiled by the compiler under
test; is that what you want?  Testing an executable for which everything
is compiled by the alternate compiler makes it easier to detect failures
in the mixed executables that are due to the alternate compiler.

Janis