* OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-23  9:31 Biagio Lucini
From: Biagio Lucini @ 2004-11-23  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

The question arose in

and follow-up messages.

I have made an enquiry to the OpenMP ARB, appended is the answer I received.
My understanding of the meaning of "public domain" is that we are free to put
the code under GPL+exceptions.

Biagio

Subject: RE: [Feedback] Licensing (or copyright) question
Date: Tuesday 23 November 2004 05.17
From: "Shah, Sanjiv" <sanjiv.shah@intel.com>
To: "Biagio Lucini" <lucini@phys.ethz.ch>, <feedback@openmp.org>

Hello,

Any material from the OpenMP ARB needs to be released under OpenMP
copyright, including the example code.  With the copyright, you can
assume the code is public domain.

Thank you for your interest.

For the OpenMP ARB,
Sanjiv Shah

--
Sanjiv Shah, 217/403-4244, Mobile 217/417-6723, Fax 217/403-4399
Intel Americas, Inc., 1906 Fox Drive, Champaign, IL 61820

From: Mike Stump @ 2004-11-24  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Biagio Lucini; +Cc: gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:16 AM, Biagio Lucini wrote:
> I have made an enquiry to the OpenMP ARB, appended is the answer I
> received.
> My understanding of the meaning of "public domain" is that we are free
> to put the code under GPL+exceptions.

My take, I think their email reply is evidence that they have no clue
what-so-ever.  I'd suggest that you ask them a yes or no question, and
that you accept no another answer other than yes or no.  Now, as to the
question, can I do X, where X is all the code that you think might
infringe.  Also, bear in mind, what the person says has no legal
weight, if they person you are talking to has no legal standing.

If you don't get satisfaction from them, then, I'd bump you to the
FSF's lawyer on how to handle this.  Standard clean room techniques
certainly work.

* Re: OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-24  1:03   ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-11-24  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Biagio Lucini, gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Stump wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:16 AM, Biagio Lucini wrote:
>> I have made an enquiry to the OpenMP ARB, appended is the answer I
>> received.
>> My understanding of the meaning of "public domain" is that we are free to
>> put the code under GPL+exceptions.
>
> My take, I think their email reply is evidence that they have no clue
> what-so-ever.  I'd suggest that you ask them a yes or no question, and that
> you accept no another answer other than yes or no.  Now, as to the question,
> can I do X, where X is all the code that you think might infringe.  Also,
> bear in mind, what the person says has no legal weight, if they person you
> are talking to has no legal standing.

It's never a good idea to make assumptions about what principles the law
follows :).

In this case, what you've said isn't necessarily or even usually true.
Take a gander at the law of agency, in particular the principle of
"apparent authority" (and also the principles of various forms
of estoppel). Of course, you'd end up in court in this case, which you'd
want to avoid, but you don't get to hold yourself out and give legal
answers on behalf of your employer without any consequences :).

Which brings us to the part where i say this isn't legal advice, doesn't
represent IBM, blah, blah, blah, blah :)

--Dan

* Re: OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-24  2:09     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-11-24  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Mike Stump, Biagio Lucini, gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:47:43PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> In this case, what you've said isn't necessarily or even usually true.
> Take a gander at the law of agency, in particular the principle of
> "apparent authority" (and also the principles of various forms
> of estoppel). Of course, you'd end up in court in this case, which you'd
> want to avoid, but you don't get to hold yourself out and give legal
> answers on behalf of your employer without any consequences :).

"estoppel", as I understand it, means that the court won't find you guilty
if you rely on a promise that you had good reason to think was a valid
promise (for example, because someone claiming to speak for a company made
it to you).  I have no idea, though, what "good reason" means in this
case.  Red Hat recently put out a piece explaining that the estoppel
principle would keep a future evil Red Hat management from suing free
software developers for infringing on Red Hat's patents, because the
developers are relying on an official promise:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/001nov04/features/patents/
http://www.redhat.com/legal/patent_policy.html

Still, estoppel is an Anglo/American concept, and might not be good
elsewhere.

* Re: OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-24  3:20     ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2004-11-24  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Biagio Lucini, gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Nov 23, 2004, at 4:47 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Stump wrote:
> In this case, what you've said isn't necessarily or even usually true.

I wasn't giving general advice of what we might be able to get away
with or what the law might allow for, but rather, a very conservative
view that hopefully doesn't fail to be conservative to keep us and them
happy.

In my opinion, if one wants to do fun things with the law, one needs to
be the FSF lawyer; we can only do what is trivially obvious.  To me
that would be, reimplementation of any part that might be protected by
copyright, or assignment; beyond that, and I think we need to involve
the SC or rms or the FSF lawyer.

* Re: OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-24  5:35       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-11-24  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Biagio Lucini, gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Stump wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 4:47 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Stump wrote:
>> In this case, what you've said isn't necessarily or even usually true.
>
> I wasn't giving general advice of what we might be able to get away with or
> what the law might allow for, but rather, a very conservative view that
> hopefully doesn't fail to be conservative to keep us and them happy.

Sigh.
I believe you missed the point I was making, because i didn't bother to
actually write it out. :)

The point is that you've stated a possible suggestion based upon an
assumption of  law that may or may not be true (in this case it isn't,
at least in the US).
The correct thing in these situations is to *always* bump it to a lawyer
(in this case, the FSF lawyers), not try to figure out whether a given
answer may be acceptable, and if you don't get an acceptable answer, bump
it to a lawyer, for two reasons:

1. What is really an acceptable answer based on the law may not  be the
same as what you think it is :). (While it may turn out often that what a
lawyer will accept is a lot more conservative than what you've come up
with, this isn't always the case).

2. Even if you had the "lawyers acceptable answer", you aren't the one who
can do anything with it, only the FSF/SC (or someone who officially
represents GCC) can.

* Re: OpenMP licensing problem: a solution
@ 2004-11-24  7:52         ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-11-24  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Mike Stump, Biagio Lucini, gcc, gomp, gcc-patches

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:09:13PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> 1. What is really an acceptable answer based on the law may not  be the
> same as what you think it is :). (While it may turn out often that what a
> lawyer will accept is a lot more conservative than what you've come up
> with, this isn't always the case).
>
> 2. Even if you had the "lawyers acceptable answer", you aren't the one who
> can do anything with it, only the FSF/SC (or someone who officially
> represents GCC) can.

Anything legally tricky the SC does not look at; it goes straight to
RMS and Eben Moglen, or else we just stay away from it.