* How to test for duplicate error messages
@ 2004-11-29 14:24 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2004-11-29 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I've got some questions regarding duplicate error messages in the testsuite:

How do I test that an error mesage isn't emitted twice
(like in g++.dg/parse/dtor2.C )?

I could only find g++.dg/other/error8.C which isn't working as expected
IMHO. The last three lines read

  // The duplicated error messages are xfailed for now (tracked in the PR)
  // { dg-bogus "" "duplicate error messages" { target *-*-* } 8 }
  // { dg-bogus "" "duplicate error messages" { target *-*-* } 9 }

But
* the tests do PASS (it's not an XPASS!)
* the PR was closed
* trying to copy such a line to g++.dg/parse/dtor2.C didn't work
  (I got PASS although there's a duplicate message).

So the questions are:
* How to check for duplicate error messages?
* How to fix g++.dg/other/error8.C ?

Regards,
Volker

* Re: How to test for duplicate error messages
@ 2004-11-30  2:58 ` Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2004-11-30  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: gcc

Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> How do I test that an error mesage isn't emitted twice
> (like in g++.dg/parse/dtor2.C )?

I don't think it is possible with the current framework.

> I could only find g++.dg/other/error8.C which isn't working as
> expected IMHO. The last three lines read
>
>   // The duplicated error messages are xfailed for now (tracked in
>   the PR) // { dg-bogus "" "duplicate error messages" { target *-*-*
>   } 8 } // { dg-bogus "" "duplicate error messages" { target *-*-* }
> 9 }
>
> But
> * the tests do PASS (it's not an XPASS!)

They used to not pass.

> * the PR was closed

Because Mark fixed the bug, and converted the xfails into targets to disable
them. Then he forgot to remove the comment line which is misguiding.

> * trying to copy such a line to g++.dg/parse/dtor2.C didn't work
>   (I got PASS although there's a duplicate message).

I don't think it ever worked. I added error8.C, and probably I was not
realizing that it was not doing what I thought it was doing.

Giovanni Bajo