From: espie@quatramaran.ens.fr (Marc Espie)
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GTY and const
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

In article <41CAF9EF.2030404@cox.net> you write:
>Why can't we use the Boehm's GC for all of GCC?  It's already
>distributed with GCC and we already use it for the Java runtime.
>Lucas

The java runtime is one of those things that break on a lot of
platforms. Okay, I'm biased, maybe not a lot. But at least on
OpenBSD i386, I haven't been able to get most java runtime tests
to run: boehm-gc doesn't work with dynamic libraries for us.
I don't know why, and I haven't had time to find out.

boehm-gc needs very specific support for each processor, each OS.
I've read through parts of it, it's really not  simple code, a real
maze of a mess of #ifdef. the current gc used by gcc is,
comparatively, very easy to work with. And it works on most everything,
as there are degraded versions of it that demand very little where the
OS suppport is concerned.