* Re: pragma pack on hp-ux
@ 2005-01-22 17:35 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2005-01-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: efrias

> I posted on this list about three weeks ago asking about the possibility
> of enabling HANDLE_PRAGMA_PACK on HP-UX. I didn't get any replies either
> for or against enabling it, so I thought I'd try again.

Huh, this was done three weeks ago and you were copied:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-12/msg02153.html>.
My mail log indicates that the message was accepted by
mail.syncad.com. [66.207.66.8].

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

* pragma pack on hp-ux
@ 2005-01-22  0:03 Eric Frias
From: Eric Frias @ 2005-01-22  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I posted on this list about three weeks ago asking about the possibility
of enabling HANDLE_PRAGMA_PACK on HP-UX.  I didn't get any replies
either for or against enabling it, so I thought I'd try again.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-12/msg00683.html and
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-12/msg00845.html

A quick summary:
No form of #pragma pack is enabled on HP-UX.  I haven't been able to
find any mention of why this is the case.  The lack of #pragma pack
makes it much harder to port software.  I've enabled #pragma pack on my
copy of gcc-4.0.0, and it doesn't appear to cause any harm -- the gcc
test suite reports the same results with or without HANDLE_PRAGMA_PACK
defined.

If there's no reason not to enable pragma pack, it would be nice to have
it enabled in the standard gcc distribution.  If it helps to have a
patch, there's one at the end of this message.  If there's some other
procedure to submit patches for comment or review, please point me in
the right direction.  Thanks,

Eric

*** gcc/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/config/pa/pa-hpux.h       Wed Oct  1 20:44:24 2003
--- gcc-3.4.2/gcc/config/pa/pa-hpux.h   Mon Dec 20 10:18:38 2004
   #undef TARGET_DEFAULT
   #define TARGET_DEFAULT 0

+ #define HANDLE_PRAGMA_PACK
+