* Migrate to Autotest for testing framework?
@ 2005-01-24 11:56 Sam Lauber
From: Sam Lauber @ 2005-01-24 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

Powered by Outblaze

* Re: Migrate to Autotest for testing framework?
@ 2005-01-24 13:29 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-01-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Lauber; +Cc: gcc

Sam Lauber wrote:
> (sorry for the empty message, I accidently hit `send')
>
> I think GCC should use GNU Autotest (part of Autoconf) as
> the testing framework instead of DejaGNU.  It would (1)
> allow GCC to be tested on the platforms DejaGNU does not
> support, and (2) have the advantage of the shell.

It has been a royal pain to compile auto*ed software
on OSs without a Unix emulation on top (process model,
pipes, job control, tool set including full bash). I don't think
that importing even more of the complexities of the O(terrible(n))
Autoconf dependence set will help porting?

Georg

* Re: Migrate to Autotest for testing framework?
@ 2005-01-24 13:03 ` J.T. Conklin
From: J.T. Conklin @ 2005-01-24 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Lauber; +Cc: gcc

"Sam Lauber" <sam124@operamail.com> writes:
> I think GCC should use GNU Autotest (part of Autoconf) as
> the testing framework instead of DejaGNU.  It would (1)
> allow GCC to be tested on the platforms DejaGNU does not
> support, and (2) have the advantage of the shell.  Also,
> since GCC is complexly tested, it would help Autotest
> development too.

Have you looked at the capabilities of DejaGNU the GCC testsuite uses
and compared them with what's available with Autotest?  It seems like
a huge gulf to me.  IMO it would be far easier to port DejaGNU to any
platforms where it's not supported than it would be to port the test-
suite itself.

It's not clear to me that the shell is a better language than tcl for
test suite development.  I think Python is, which is why I use QMTest
for my personal use.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin

* Migrate to Autotest for testing framework?
@ 2005-01-24 12:04 Sam Lauber