* wikidata dir added to htdocs
@ 2005-01-24  0:04 Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2005-01-24  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-patches; +Cc: gerald

I've added a wikidata dir to htdocs that contains all the templates and
css files for the wiki.

The source code is going to be in a subdir of wwwdocs, so that we can keep
the templates and css separate from the actual code of the thing.

If you'd rather have the template dirs and code in the same place (IE all
in wikidata/), i'm happy to do that too.

* Re: wikidata dir added to htdocs
@ 2005-01-24  0:28 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2005-01-24  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches, gerald

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I've added a wikidata dir to htdocs that contains all the templates and css
> files for the wiki.
>
> The source code is going to be in a subdir of wwwdocs, so that we can keep the
> templates and css separate from the actual code of the thing.

GIF files are deliberately not copied by the preprocessing script, the
following files are affected (and should be replaced by PNGs).

wikidata/themes/Crao/buttons/vcss.gif
wikidata/themes/Crao/buttons/vxhtml10.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/bullet.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/discussionitem_icon.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/file_icon.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/link_icon.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/lock_icon.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/mail_icon.gif
wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/required.gif
wikidata/themes/Sidebar/jscalendar/menuarrow.gif
wikidata/themes/SpaceWiki/images/lights.gif
wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/content-background.gif
wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/header-background.gif
wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/menu-background.gif
wikidata/themes/default/buttons/en/Next.gif
wikidata/themes/default/buttons/en/Previous.gif
wikidata/themes/default/buttons/vcss.gif
wikidata/themes/default/buttons/vxhtml10.gif
wikidata/themes/default/buttons/xml.gif

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)

* Re: wikidata dir added to htdocs
@ 2005-01-24  2:38   ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2005-01-24  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches, gerald

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>
>> I've added a wikidata dir to htdocs that contains all the templates and css
>> files for the wiki.
>>
>> The source code is going to be in a subdir of wwwdocs, so that we can keep the
>> templates and css separate from the actual code of the thing.
>
> GIF files are deliberately not copied by the preprocessing script, the
> following files are affected (and should be replaced by PNGs).
>
> wikidata/themes/Crao/buttons/vcss.gif
> wikidata/themes/Crao/buttons/vxhtml10.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/bullet.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/discussionitem_icon.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/file_icon.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/link_icon.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/lock_icon.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/mail_icon.gif
> wikidata/themes/MonoBook/images/required.gif
> wikidata/themes/Sidebar/jscalendar/menuarrow.gif
> wikidata/themes/SpaceWiki/images/lights.gif
> wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/content-background.gif
> wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/header-background.gif
> wikidata/themes/Wordpress/images/menu-background.gif
> wikidata/themes/default/buttons/en/Next.gif
> wikidata/themes/default/buttons/en/Previous.gif
> wikidata/themes/default/buttons/vcss.gif
> wikidata/themes/default/buttons/vxhtml10.gif
> wikidata/themes/default/buttons/xml.gif

We actually don't use any of these themes, but i'll convert them to png
and modify them on the chance we ever decide to switch.

* Re: wikidata dir added to htdocs
@ 2005-01-24  2:42   ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2005-01-24  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, gcc, gcc-patches, gerald

On Jan 23, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>
>> I've added a wikidata dir to htdocs that contains all the templates
>> and css
>> files for the wiki.
>>
>> The source code is going to be in a subdir of wwwdocs, so that we can
>> keep the
>> templates and css separate from the actual code of the thing.
>
> GIF files are deliberately not copied by the preprocessing script, the
> following files are affected (and should be replaced by PNGs).

Should the GIF restriction be lifted? The patent has expired now.

-- Pinski

* Re: wikidata dir added to htdocs
@ 2005-01-24  2:55     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2005-01-24  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, gcc, gcc-patches, gerald

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> Should the GIF restriction be lifted? The patent has expired now.

Changes to <http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html> are a matter
for maintainers@gnu.org, even after patent expiration.
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html> mentions one patent with an
expiration date of 11 August 2006.

--

@ 2005-01-24 17:47       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2005-01-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, Daniel Berlin, gcc, gcc-patches, gerald

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:04:32AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Andrew Pinski wrote:
>
> > Should the GIF restriction be lifted? The patent has expired now.
>
> Changes to <http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html> are a matter
> for maintainers@gnu.org, even after patent expiration.
> <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html> mentions one patent with an
> expiration date of 11 August 2006.

However, the IBM patent in question has never been enforced against GIF
and is of questionable validity (given its duplication of the Unisys
patent); if free software wants to try to avoid even unenforced or highly
questionable patents we might as well quit now, because you almost can't
write programs at all.

Nevertheless, the FSF hasn't changed the policy on GIFs yet.