* configure test for a mmap flag
@ 2005-05-30 23:28 Steve Kargl
From: Steve Kargl @ 2005-05-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

gfortran uses mmap for its IO if an OS has mmap.  If
found, mmap is used with the MAP_SHARED flag.  On linux
(and other OS's) this seems to be okay, but on FreeBSD
IO can significantly degrade if a file pre-exists.  In
some testing I've done, linux's MAP_SHARED appears to be
equivalent to FreeBSD's (MAP_SHARED | MAP_NOSYNC).  I
need to add a configure test to determine if MAP_NOSYNC
is present.  I haven't found an example in the gcc/
directory hierarachy on how this might be accomplished.
Any pointers?

--
Steve

* Re: configure test for a mmap flag
@ 2005-05-30 23:44 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2005-05-30 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kargl; +Cc: gcc

* Steve Kargl:

> I need to add a configure test to determine if MAP_NOSYNC is
> present.

What about "#ifdef MAP_NOSYNC" in the code?  Or do you invoke mmap
directly from Fortran?

* Re: configure test for a mmap flag
@ 2005-05-31  2:47   ` Steve Kargl
From: Steve Kargl @ 2005-05-31  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:17:34PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Steve Kargl:
>
> > I need to add a configure test to determine if MAP_NOSYNC is
> > present.
>
> What about "#ifdef MAP_NOSYNC" in the code?  Or do you invoke mmap
> directly from Fortran?

There are sometimes too many TREEs (pun intended :-)
to see the forest.

--
Steve