* help using mingw/gcc
@ 2005-06-15 16:31 darmay
From: darmay @ 2005-06-15 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello, I'm trying to compile a simple program with gcc on windows and am
getting really frustrated. I've tried entering the commands in command
prompt (no ms-dos mode, I have XP) and Run, but can't get anything,
mostly something like "no such directory" or "gcc is not a valid
command". Any suggestions?

Thanks.

* Re: help using mingw/gcc
@ 2005-06-15 16:45 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2005-06-15 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: darmay; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:31:40AM -0500, darmay@mindspring.com wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to compile a simple program with gcc on windows and am
> getting really frustrated. I've tried entering the commands in command
> prompt (no ms-dos mode, I have XP) and Run, but can't get anything,
> mostly something like "no such directory" or "gcc is not a valid
> command". Any suggestions?

This mailing list is about development *of* GCC, not *with* GCC, so your
question would be better suited to the gcc-help list (which is for help
using GCC) or some other forum about Windows command-line use.

At a guess, I'd say it sounds like you need to set your path variable,
or give the full path to GCC, but I never use Windows for anything
serious so I wouldn't know.

Finally, if you want anyone to help you, you'll probably need to give
more information than that.  If you want someone to take time to help
you you should at least take the time to explain exactly what errors you
got.

Good luck,

jon

* RE: help using mingw/gcc
@ 2005-06-15 17:06   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-15 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
>> Hello, I'm trying to compile a simple program with gcc on windows and am
>> getting really frustrated. I've tried entering the commands in command
>> prompt (no ms-dos mode, I have XP) and Run, but can't get anything,
>> mostly something like "no such directory" or "gcc is not a valid
>> command". Any suggestions?
>
> This mailing list is about development *of* GCC, not *with* GCC, so your
> question would be better suited to the gcc-help list (which is for help
> using GCC) or some other forum about Windows command-line use.

  Probably best of all on one of the MinGW mailing lists, in fact.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: help using mingw/gcc
@ 2005-06-15 20:07 ` Björn Haase
From: Björn Haase @ 2005-06-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: darmay

darmay@mindspring.com wrote on Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005 18:31 :
> Hello, I'm trying to compile a simple program with gcc on windows and am
> getting really frustrated. I've tried entering the commands in command
> prompt (no ms-dos mode, I have XP) and Run, but can't get anything,
> mostly something like "no such directory" or "gcc is not a valid
> command". Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
In case that you are used to unix-based systems: The easiest way to circumvent
installation problems (IMO) is to install the cygwin package. It includes a
binary distribution of gcc.

Yours,

Björn