* Re: gfortran documentation
       [not found] ` <20050716161609.GA57458@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
@ 2005-07-18  5:40   ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-07-18  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: fortran

Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:10:19PM -0500, Justin Thomas wrote:
>>I am a big fan of the GNU project and would really like to use
>>gfortran for Fortran development work on my 64-bit AMD Opteron machine
>>running Red Hat Linux.  I cannot find any documentation on your
>>website at all, not even so much as a man page or a "Get Started"
>>guide.
>
> You could not have looked too hard for documentation.  The menu
> on the left at gcc.gnu.org has a "Documentation" section.  In
> that section you will find a link named "Manual", which leads to
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

I'm going to have to debate that "could not have looked too hard"
comment, Steve.  I was just looking at the gfortran home page (which is,
as far as I can tell, officially at gcc.gnu.org/fortran), and it doesn't
have any links to documentation at all, nor any indication that any
gfortran documentation can be found by going to the main gcc.gnu.org page.

Thus, it would be very easy to conclude, from looking at that page, that
there was no documentation to be easily had.

I think this should be corrected, probably by a "Documentation" section
after the "Binaries" section.

For that matter, there should probably also be a "Source" section, if
only to say "As gfortran is part of gcc, one must obtain the gcc source
from http://xyz".

- Brooks

(I'm cc'ing this to the main gcc list, as that's apparently the place to
send comments on the web pages.)

* Re: gfortran documentation
@ 2005-07-18  5:54     ` Steve Kargl
From: Steve Kargl @ 2005-07-18  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brooks Moses; +Cc: fortran, gcc

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:31:03PM -0700, Brooks Moses wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:10:19PM -0500, Justin Thomas wrote:
> >>I am a big fan of the GNU project and would really like to use
> >>gfortran for Fortran development work on my 64-bit AMD Opteron machine
> >>running Red Hat Linux.  I cannot find any documentation on your
> >>website at all, not even so much as a man page or a "Get Started"
> >>guide.
> >
> >You could not have looked too hard for documentation.  The menu
> >on the left at gcc.gnu.org has a "Documentation" section.  In
> >that section you will find a link named "Manual", which leads to
> >
> >http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
>
> I'm going to have to debate that "could not have looked too hard"
> comment, Steve.  I was just looking at the gfortran home page (which is,
> as far as I can tell, officially at gcc.gnu.org/fortran), and it doesn't
> have any links to documentation at all, nor any indication that any
> gfortran documentation can be found by going to the main gcc.gnu.org page.

Like I said "could not have looked too hard".  So, you don't find
a link to a gfortran manual page from gcc.gnu.org/fortran.  A reasonable
person would back up to the home page and read the info there.

> I think this should be corrected, probably by a "Documentation" section
> after the "Binaries" section.

This is probably a good idea.  Fortunately, the sources to the
webpages are available.  I look forward to your patch.

--
Steve