* Questions about the new M32C target
@ 2005-07-27 18:25 glagnar
From: glagnar @ 2005-07-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: dj

Hi everyone,

I was excited to find out that gcc now supports the Renesas M16C/M32C
architecture. I have compiled binutils and gcc from the CVS sources.
However, there are several questions that I have:

1. Does anyone know if or when there will be a libc supporting this
target, and which one that will be (newlib?)?

2. After building the compiler, I can create object files but not
executables. ld claims there are linker scripts missing (the files ld
wants are r8c.ld, m16c.ld and m32c.ld, depending on CPU). Will these
be added to gcc or are you supposed to write your own?

3. There has been a project to add M16C support to gcc, but it was
apparently abandoned because the M16C architecture has two different
addressing modes, while gcc presumably does not support different
pointer sizes. See this discussion for details:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/m16c-dev/2003-11/msg00001.html

How has this issue been addressed in the current version?

Thanks