From: howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu (Jack Howarth)
To: echristo@apple.com, howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: does -fstack-protector work for gcc 4.1 on Darwin 8?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Eric,
   Well what I have is a gfortran 4.1 branch fink package built using
the 20050728 cvs with the new cray pointer patches donated by LANL.
What I am trying to do is the following. I have been trying to build
xplor-nih (which is a mix of c, c++ and fortran) with gfortran (it
works okay with g77 or xlf). The new problem I have run into is
some stack and heap corruption with both gfortran from 4.0 and 4.1
branch. The current suspect is the new cray pointer patches for
Fortran which provide the necessary LOC intrinsic. My hope is that
if compile xplor-nih with -fstack-protector on the fortran code
when the stack is going to be corrupted it will throw a runtime
error thus identify the culprit. Does this sound like a valid use
of -fstack-protector?
          Jack
ps As a test I built the cp_test.f90 cray pointer test program
under gfortran with -fstack-protector. The resulting program
passed its tests but I have no idea if that means the stack
protector code itself was functional.