* Re: GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2007-08-09)
@ 2007-08-13 15:40 Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2007-08-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc, phil.barnard

We have a lot of patches to the ARC port, but I suppose that would not really
be a problem for phase three, as the current arc port in the gcc mainline
is not really useful for end users - it doesn't support any of the cores
that have been released in recent years.

Some patches belong logically to the arc port, but are in common files, so
they have to go in sufficiently early before the release freeze to allow
to verify that no other configurations are affected by typos etc; these files
are:
config-ml.in config.gcc doc/invoke.texi

There remain two issues that require patches to the common code.
Our Copyright Assignment is still not sorted out, so I will refer here
to patches only by Changelog entry, without posting any actual code.

There is an issue with precompiled headers that shows up specifically with the
arc configuration.  Some GTY data structures point to malloced strings in the
arc port.

2007-05-14  J"orn Rennecke  <joern.rennecke@arc.com>

	Make section xmalloced:
        * c-pch.c (c_common_write_pch): Call pickle_in_section and
        unpickle_in_section.
        (c_common_read_pch): Call unpickle_in_section.
        * varasm.c (unnamed_sections): Remove GTY marker.
        (get_unnamed_section, get_noswitch_section): xmalloc section.
        (pickled_in_section): New static variable.
        (pickle_in_section, unpickle_in_section): New functions.
        * output.h (struct unnamed_section): Mark as GTY((skip)).
        (union section): Mark members unnamed_section and noswitch_section
        as GTY((skip)).
        (text_section, data_section, readonly_data_section): Remove GTY marker.
        (sdata_section, ctors_section, dtors_section, bss_section): Likewise.
        (sbss_section, tls_comm_section, comm_section): Likewise.
        (lcomm_section, bss_noswitch_section, in_section): Likewise.
        (pickle_in_section, unpickle_in_section): Declare.

The following patch should be reworked to avoid code duplication, which will
likely require patches to the frontend and middle-end:

2007-05-29  J"orn Rennecke  <joern.rennecke@arc.com>

        * config/arc/arc.c (arc_decl_anon_ns_mem_p): New function, copied from
        cp/tree.c .
        (arc_in_small_data_p): Use default_binds_local_p_1 and
        arc_decl_anon_ns_mem_p to determine if a symbol binds locally.

[parent not found: <OF5A9ECABF.3318A2A3-ONC2257333.00020FB3-C2257333.0002CE8B@LocalDomain>]
* GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2007-08-09)
@ 2007-08-10  0:19 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2007-08-10  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Summary
-------

We entered Stage 2 on July 6th.  I plan to put us into Stage 3 on
September 10th.  At that point, we will accept only bug-fixes -- no
more new features until Stage 1 for GCC 4.4.

Are there any folks out there who have projects for Stage 1 or Stage 2
that they are having trouble getting reviewed?  Any comments
re. timing for Stage 3?

Quality
-------

At this point, we have 194 P3-or-higher regressions open against
4.3.0:

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=4.3&target_milestone=4.0.4&target_milestone=4.1.3&target_milestone=4.2.2&target_milestone=4.3.0&known_to_fail_type=allwordssubstr&known_to_work_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&gcchost_type=allwordssubstr&gcchost=&gcctarget_type=allwordssubstr&gcctarget=&gccbuild_type=allwordssubstr&gccbuild=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=SUSPENDED&bug_status=WAITING&bug_status=REOPENED&priority=P1&priority=P2&priority=P3&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

I have not yet triaged the many P3 bugs, so I expect that some of
these will be downgraded.  An interesting fact is that now about half
of the 34 P1s re 4.3-only regressions.  So, we have been introducing
some new and exciting bugs, and we need to fix those.  Do we need
another 1-week stabilization period?

Previous Report

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-06/msg00954.html

--