From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Strange error message from gdb
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 05:54:10PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > That DIE doesn't have any content.  It says "I am a declartion of an
>  > interface".  But not which interface or what it's called or what the
>  > type is.
>
> Well, the type is the interface: there's nothing else it might be.

From the DWARF standard:

 Interface types are represented by debugging information entries with
 the tag DW_TAG_interface_type.

 An interface type entry has a DW_AT_name attribute, whose value is a
 null-terminated string containing the type name as it appears in the
 source program.

 The members of an interface are represented by debugging information
 entries that are owned by the interface type entry and that appear in
 the same order as the corresponding declarations in the source
 program.

So this is a declaration of an interface, but without a name.  GDB is
doing the wrong thing with it, but it still seems wrong to me.  Or do
Java interfaces have no name?

> Anyway, on inspection it seems like read_type_die() in dwarf2read.c
> doesn't know how to handle DW_TAG_interface_type.  This is rather odd,
> given that dwarf_tag_name() does know about interface types.

That's just a complete transcription of the DWARF tags (at some point
in history).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery