* Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-23 11:19 Richard Guenther
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Guenther @ 2008-01-23 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc-patches, fortran, libstdc++

As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
rules as for release branches apply.

The next milestone before the release of GCC 4.3.0 is to get down
the priority one (P1) regressions against GCC 4.3 down to zero.  At
the point we reach that goal, either by fixing all P1 bugs or by
downgrading less important ones to P2, the mainline will be freezed
to prepare for a release candidate.  Around the same time we will
branch and the opening of stage1 for GCC 4.4 development will be
announced.

There are 5 P1 bugs open against GCC 4.3, one of it has patches,
three of them are C++ regressions assigned to Mark and one bug
does not seem likely to be fixed (PR31529), which makes it a likely
candidate for downgrading.

I will update the GCC frontpage with the trunk state asap.

Thanks,
Richard.

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-23 15:33 ` Richard Sandiford
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Sandiford @ 2008-01-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches, fortran, libstdc++

Richard Guenther <rguenther@suse.de> writes:
> As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
> against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
> only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
> rules as for release branches apply.
>
> The next milestone before the release of GCC 4.3.0 is to get down
> the priority one (P1) regressions against GCC 4.3 down to zero.  At
> the point we reach that goal, either by fixing all P1 bugs or by
> downgrading less important ones to P2, the mainline will be freezed
> to prepare for a release candidate.  Around the same time we will
> branch and the opening of stage1 for GCC 4.4 development will be
> announced.
>
> There are 5 P1 bugs open against GCC 4.3, one of it has patches,
> three of them are C++ regressions assigned to Mark and one bug
> does not seem likely to be fixed (PR31529), which makes it a likely
> candidate for downgrading.

Please could someone have a look at:

It fixes a pretty important regression for MIPS GNU/Linux, and if
the patch isn't acceptable, I'd like to know soon so that I have
time to implement whatever alternative we decide on.

@ 2008-01-23 16:12 ` Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2008-01-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc

Richard,
   Will gcc 4.3.0's release be held up until all of the major
architectures have fully optimized cost models for vectorization?
I ask because as far as I can tell the powerpc cost model changes
haven't been submitted yet. It certainly would be nice if all
of the major targets could have -fvect-cost-model enabled by
default for -O3.
          Jack

@ 2008-01-23 16:19   ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2008-01-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Richard,
>    Will gcc 4.3.0's release be held up until all of the major
> architectures have fully optimized cost models for vectorization?
> I ask because as far as I can tell the powerpc cost model changes
> haven't been submitted yet. It certainly would be nice if all
> of the major targets could have -fvect-cost-model enabled by
> default for -O3.

No, there was plenty of time to get the cost model in, and the
experience will be not worse than with 4.2 as that didn't have
a cost model.

Sorry,

@ 2008-01-23 16:40 ` Peter Bergner
From: Peter Bergner @ 2008-01-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches, fortran, libstdc++

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:06 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
> against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
> only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
> rules as for release branches apply.

Is the following patch to fix PR 34814 which was posted shortly before
your announcement ok?  It has passed bootstrap and regtesting with
no errors and fixes test case gcc.target/powerpc/ppc32-abi-dfp-1.c.

It fixes an ABI issue with powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux regarding
SDmode parameters and return values.  The patch will allow us to mix
and match GCC compiled obj files with XL compiled obj files which is
already following the ABI.

I restricted the changes to the rs6000 port except for a couple of
additional target hooks which are nop's for non ppc targets and a simple
rename of one function to eliminate a symbol collision between
function.c:instantiate_decl and cp/pt.c:instantiate_decl().

Peter

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-23 17:15     ` Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2008-01-23 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc

Richard,
   Just to clarify, does this mean that any architecture
which doesn't have a fully optimized cost-model currently
in gcc trunk will have to wait for gcc 4.4? I ask because
the cost-model bugs wouldn't actually be a regressions
from gcc 4.2. I mainly wanted to make sure that we didn't
have some cost-model changes sitting around unsubmitted
that would have to be postponed until gcc 4.4.
              Jack

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:01:07PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
> > Richard,
> >    Will gcc 4.3.0's release be held up until all of the major
> > architectures have fully optimized cost models for vectorization?
> > I ask because as far as I can tell the powerpc cost model changes
> > haven't been submitted yet. It certainly would be nice if all
> > of the major targets could have -fvect-cost-model enabled by
> > default for -O3.
>
> No, there was plenty of time to get the cost model in, and the
> experience will be not worse than with 4.2 as that didn't have
> a cost model.
>
> Sorry,
> Richard.

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-23 20:24 ` Bernhard Fischer
From: Bernhard Fischer @ 2008-01-23 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:06:22PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:

>As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
>against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
>only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
>rules as for release branches apply.

While not strictly a regression, is there any chance that we could get
this reviewed an applied?

cheers,

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-23 21:12   ` Dorit Nuzman
From: Dorit Nuzman @ 2008-01-23 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc, Richard Guenther, Razya Ladelsky, Ira Rosen

> Richard,
>    Will gcc 4.3.0's release be held up until all of the major
> architectures have fully optimized cost models for vectorization?
> I ask because as far as I can tell the powerpc cost model changes
> haven't been submitted yet.

At this point it doesn't look like there will be any cost model changes
submitted for powerpc - experimentation so far on powerpc970 with Spec2006
and Polyhedron benchmark suites didn't bring up any issues that needed to
be fixed (in both suites vectorization either had no impact (on most
benchmarks), or had a significant positive impact (on 1-2 benchmarks); the
cost model had no impact). We are continuing to experiment on power, also
with other benchmarks, in search for cases that do require cost model
tuning, but there are no patches ready at the moment.

There are however a couple of small cost-model changes that were going to
be submitted this week for the Cell SPU - it's unfortunate if these cannot
get into 4.3.

dorit

(P.S. thanks to Razya for powerpc Polyhedron testing)

@ 2008-01-23 22:49       ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2008-01-23 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Richard,
>    Just to clarify, does this mean that any architecture
> which doesn't have a fully optimized cost-model currently
> in gcc trunk will have to wait for gcc 4.4? I ask because
> the cost-model bugs wouldn't actually be a regressions
> from gcc 4.2. I mainly wanted to make sure that we didn't
> have some cost-model changes sitting around unsubmitted
> that would have to be postponed until gcc 4.4.

I have no idea how these "bugs" will look like, so I cannot
give you a definitive answer on this question.  But as always,
nothing is impossible, especially if it only involves target
specific changes.

@ 2008-01-25 14:52   ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2008-01-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Fischer; +Cc: Richard Guenther, gcc, gcc-patches

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:50:02PM +0100, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:06:22PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> >
> >As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
> >against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
> >only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
> >rules as for release branches apply.
>
> While not strictly a regression, is there any chance that we could get
> this reviewed an applied?

I think an exception could be made for this, the risks are small
and it should impact just uclibc.  But you'd need one of the configury
maintainers to ack it.

	Jakub

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-25 16:12     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2008-01-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Bernhard Fischer, Richard Guenther, gcc, gcc-patches

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:50:02PM +0100, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:06:22PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
>>> As we now reached the goal of less than 100 open serious regressions
>>> against GCC 4.3, we are as of now in regression and documentation fixes
>>> only mode.  This means that for patches going on the trunk the same
>>> rules as for release branches apply.
>> While not strictly a regression, is there any chance that we could get
>> this reviewed an applied?
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-01/msg00995.html
>
> I think an exception could be made for this, the risks are small
> and it should impact just uclibc.  But you'd need one of the configury
> maintainers to ack it.

Ok in 48 hours if no one will have objected.

Paolo

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
@ 2008-01-27 18:00       ` Bernhard Fischer
From: Bernhard Fischer @ 2008-01-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Richard Guenther, gcc, gcc-patches

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 03:51:27PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>>> While not strictly a regression, is there any chance that we could get
>>> this reviewed an applied?
>>>
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-01/msg00995.html
>>
>> I think an exception could be made for this, the risks are small
>> and it should impact just uclibc.  But you'd need one of the configury
>> maintainers to ack it.
>
> Ok in 48 hours if no one will have objected.

Applied to trunk as revision 131884.

Thanks!

* Re: Mainline is now regression and documentation fixes only
       [not found] <OFD1CDD1D1.FC9B9247-ONC22573D9.006AE3B6-C22573D9.006CEF42@LocalDomain>
@ 2008-01-24 15:07 ` Ira Rosen
From: Ira Rosen @ 2008-01-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dorit Nuzman; +Cc: gcc, Jack Howarth, Razya Ladelsky, Richard Guenther

Dorit Nuzman/Haifa/IBM wrote on 23/01/2008 21:49:51:

> There are however a couple of small cost-model changes that were
> going to be submitted this week for the Cell SPU - it's unfortunate
> if these cannot get into 4.3.

It's indeed unfortunate. However, those changes are not crucial and there
is still some more work to be done (check on additional benchmarks, etc.).
So, I guess, it will have to wait for 4.4.

Ira