* Re: Ideas for Google Summer of Code
@ 2009-03-30 20:53 Ross Ridge
From: Ross Ridge @ 2009-03-30 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Paolo Bonzini writes:
>Regarding the NVIDIA GPU backend, I think NVIDIA is not yet distributing
>details about the instruction set unlike ATI, is it?  In this case, I
>think ATI would be a better match.

I think a GPU backend would be well beyond the scope of a Summer of
Code project.  GPUs don't have normal stacks and addressing support
is limitted.

>Another possibility is to analyze OpenCL C and try to integrate its
>features in GCC as much as possible.  This would include
>
>1) masking/swizzling support for GCC's "generic vector" language extension;

A project that started and ended here would give GCC, in particular
GCC's Cell SPU port, the only major required functionality in the OpenCL
language, outside the runtime, that GCC is missing.

>2) half-precision floats;

Do you mean just conversion only support, like Sandra Loosemore's
proposed ARM patch, or full arithmetic support like any other scalar or
vector type?

					Ross Ridge

* Re: Ideas for Google Summer of Code
@ 2009-03-30 21:13 Ross Ridge
From: Ross Ridge @ 2009-03-30 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Joe Buck writes:
>I'm having trouble finding that document, I don't see a link to it
>on that page.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Sticking "nvidia ptx" into Google turned up this document:

	http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1195170102263.html

It's an intermediate language, so isn't tied to any particular NVIDIA GPU.
I beleive there's something similar for AMD/ATI GPUs.

btw. The computational power of Intel's integrated GPUs is pretty dismal,
so I don't think GCC port targetting them would be very useful.

					Ross Ridge

* Ideas for Google Summer of Code
@ 2009-03-29 19:34 phil++
From: phil++ @ 2009-03-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello All,

I am a PhD student who has been working with CUDA for the GPU and also
gcc for Cell BE for about a year now. (By work I mean developing
applications).  I am looking to bring GCC closer to being able to
support OpenCL as a Google Summer of Code.  Here are some of my ideas:

1. Make an NVIDIA GPU backend
2. Make the OpenCL runtime for the Cell Processor
3. Make the OpenCL runtime for a homogeneous processor

What idea is most valuable to the gcc community?  Are there any other
more valuable ideas?

About me:  I have been reading the gcc mailing list for about 6 months
now, I have submitted my first patch to a simple package that comes
with Ubuntu (glife).  I have been programming in C for about 10 years
and C++ for less.

Phil Pratt-Szeliga