* [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-05-06 21:24 Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-05-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC

Hi folks, hi graphities,

here you are with the latest notes from our graphite phone call.

It is also available on the wiki:

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Phone_Call/2009_05_06

All the best

Tobi

Attendees: Sebastian, Tobias, Christophe, Albert, Li, Jan, Razya,
Konrad, Antoniu

      * Sebastian:
              * Working on IVstack removal,
              * Several other patches like "remove strcmp". (Will be
                committed as soon as possible)
              * in clast-to-gimple:
                      * There is a problem finding the type of induction
                        variables and upper bound expressions, as cloog
                        does not carry information about them.
                              * We will try "unsigned long long" and
                                have to insert casts. (This might
                                trigger problems in the vectorizer and
                                might be slow. Maybe we can optimize the
                                size of the iv later.) Before: Used we
                                used the type of the old IV. But with
                                strip mining there is no 1 to 1 relation
                                in between ivs, so there is not always a
                                type. Other idea: infer types from upper
                                and lower bound expressions. But does
                                not seem to work either. This blocks the
                                work on removal IVSTACK.
                      * Removal of IVStack: Blocked by types. But
                        already triggers some bugs.
                      * Reductions: Blocking by IVSTack.
      * Li:
              * Mark loops as parallel with -fgraphite-force-parallel
                (committed).
              * Trigger autopar with loop->can_be_parallel (committed).

              * Started testsuite for graphite_autopar (sent for review
                to gcc-patches).
              *
              * Autopar fails in graphite branch on this line;
red = reduction_phi (reduction_list, reduc_phi);
      if (red == NULL)
      {
        if (dump_file && (dump_flags & TDF_DETAILS))
          fprintf (dump_file,
                   "  FAILED: it is not a part of reduction.\n");
        return false;

      * Tobias:
              * Fix bugs to enable data reference building (Now only
                gfortran.dg/transpose_conjg_1.f90 fails).
              * Bootstrapped dependency testing. Worked except one test
                case (gfortran.dg/cray_pointers_2.f90).
              * Working on his paper about the polyhedral part of
                graphite to attract more research in this area.
              *
      * Jan:
              * Got gcc summit paper accepted. Will be about the design
                of Graphite: IR, components of the Graphite
                infrastructure, testsuite, example, internals,
                integration with external prototyping tools (POCC). We
                should have some discussions about who describes what in
                graphite, as Tobias also has a paper accepted.
              * Worked on the translation of PCP to Polyhedral
                representation.

* Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-05-06 21:55 ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2009-05-06 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Grosser; +Cc: GCC

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Tobias Grosser
<grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> wrote:
> Hi folks, hi graphities,
>
> here you are with the latest notes from our graphite phone call.
>
> It is also available on the wiki:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Phone_Call/2009_05_06
>
> All the best
>
> Tobi
>

> Attendees: Sebastian, Tobias, Christophe, Albert, Li, Jan, Razya,
> Konrad, Antoniu
>
>      * Sebastian:
>              * Working on IVstack removal,
>              * Several other patches like "remove strcmp". (Will be
>                committed as soon as possible)
>              * in clast-to-gimple:
>                      * There is a problem finding the type of induction
>                        variables and upper bound expressions, as cloog
>                        does not carry information about them.
>                              * We will try "unsigned long long" and
>                                have to insert casts. (This might
>                                trigger problems in the vectorizer and
>                                might be slow. Maybe we can optimize the
>                                size of the iv later.) Before: Used we
>                                used the type of the old IV. But with
>                                strip mining there is no 1 to 1 relation
>                                in between ivs, so there is not always a
>                                type. Other idea: infer types from upper
>                                and lower bound expressions. But does
>                                not seem to work either. This blocks the
>                                work on removal IVSTACK.

If the induction variables are only used to iterate over the domain then
deriving them from upper and lower bounds (well - if you can constrain
them) should be the right thing to do.  In that context, when the IVs
are then only used to index into arrays or used as offsets for pointers
then using sizetype instead of unsigned long long would be a better
default choice.

Are there known constraints on the IV use?  Like that operations on them
never overflow?

Richard.

@ 2009-05-07 18:08 ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-05-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC

@ 2009-04-30 15:56       ` Sebastian Pop
From: Sebastian Pop @ 2009-04-30 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Tobias Grosser, GCC

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 17:15, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see how SSA form makes anything more complicated ;)

One of the difficulties was regenerating the phi nodes after code
hoisting: CLooG optimizes

for (i)
  if (invariant of i)
    s += A[i];

into

if (invariant of i)
  for (i)
    s += A[i];

In the transformed code you have no place to put the phi nodes that
you had after the condition.

Add to this the problem of code duplication that CLooG does sometimes:

if (invariant of i)
  for (i in domain1)
    s += A[i];
  for (i in domain2)
    s += A[i];

Maintaining the SSA form for s is difficult after such transforms.  If
you figure out a good way to maintain the SSA form, I'm very
interested to hear about.

Thanks,
Sebastian

* Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-04-30 13:53         ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2009-04-30 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: Richard Guenther, Tobias Grosser, GCC

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, the challenge is to retain the per SSA name information across
>> Graphite.  At some point we need to stop re-computing points-to
>> information because we cannot do so with retaining IPA results.
>
> Not to mention the compile time pains it causes...

Not to mention it's a lot easier for me to hide bugs if we stop
running it so much ;)

* Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-04-30  3:02       ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2009-04-30  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Tobias Grosser, GCC

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the challenge is to retain the per SSA name information across
> Graphite.  At some point we need to stop re-computing points-to
> information because we cannot do so with retaining IPA results.

Not to mention the compile time pains it causes...

Ciao!
Steven

* Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-04-30  0:26     ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2009-04-30  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Grosser; +Cc: GCC

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Tobias Grosser
<grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 23:57 +0200, Richard Guenther wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Tobias Grosser
>> <grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> wrote:
>> > Hi gcc developers, hi graphities
>> >
>> > here are some notes from our weekly phone call. Unfortunately I missed
>> > to send out the notes from the last two phone calls, but I hope to get
>> > them out more regulary. Believe in me! ;-)
>> >
>> > http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Phone_Call/2009_04_29
>> >
>> > Attendees: Li, Jan, Konrad, Sebastian, Tobias, David, Christophe
>> >
>> >      * Reductions: Diego OK with going out of SSA.
>>
>> You will loose all points-to information.  I think going out of SSA is
>> a very bad idea.
>
> It makes live a lot easier and it is just for reductions. ;-) But you
> are right we should get SSA back.

I don't see how SSA form makes anything more complicated ;)

> The point was more if it is the right moment to try to regenerate SSA as
> the polyhedral model is actually not single assignment. Or actually the
> other way around. More single assignment than SSA.

Certainly different single assignment.  But for parameters it should be a
non-problem, induction variables are implicit anyway and yes - reductions
may be interesting - but the only thing you need to do is move the
reduction variable "out of SSA" (or rather, by the fact you recognize
a reduction you have done enough work already - code generation
simply needs to create a PHI node for the reduction).

@ 2009-04-30  0:13   ` Sebastian Pop
From: Sebastian Pop @ 2009-04-30  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Tobias Grosser, GCC

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:57, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

>>      * Reductions: Diego OK with going out of SSA.
>
> You will loose all points-to information.  I think going out of SSA is
> a very bad idea.

There is no loss of information: we go out of SSA only for scalar phi
nodes that cannot be represented by scev: for each phi node we
introduce an array with one element.  These arrays are eliminated
after graphite by a scalar cleanup and we obtain again the program
in SSA form.

Handling reductions in SSA form is not an option for the moment.

Sebastian

* Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes
@ 2009-04-29 23:33   ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2009-04-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: GCC

@ 2009-04-29 23:29 ` Richard Guenther