* [sysadmin@gnu.org: [gnu.org #572859] [gcc-bugs-help@gcc.gnu.org: ezmlm warning]]
@ 2010-05-11 20:12 Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2010-05-11 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Not sure where to send this, who is responsible for the mail server
for gcc.gnu.org?

Subject: [gnu.org #572859] [gcc-bugs-help@gcc.gnu.org: ezmlm warning]
From: "Ward Vandewege via RT" <sysadmin@gnu.org>
To: ams@gnu.org
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:28:41 -0400

> [ams@gnu.org - Sun May 09 07:42:17 2010]:
>
> Not sure if it is useful to report these warnings from gcc.gnu.org,
> but here is another warning I got.
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

> <ams@gnu.org>:
> 140.186.70.92 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550-8-bit characters not allowed in subject
> 550 (see RFC 2822, sections 3.6.5, 2.2.1)

This was a message with illegal encoding. This is our rule:

  deny    senders       = \N[\x80-\xFF]\N
          message       = 8-bit characters not allowed in envelope sender\n\
                          (see RFC 2821, section 4.1.2)

The gcc.gnu.org mailserver should really not be accepting that mail either.

Thanks,
Ward.

- --
Ward Vandewege <ward@fsf.org>