* Partial hookization / PR46738 (Was: Re: RFA: partially hookize *_TYPE_SIZE)
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=E+cEHzSoZomJdwKL0W9=obO4bjWkpSf7izOcX@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-12-01  5:53     ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2010-12-01  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, gcc

Quoting Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com>:

> Btw, I think these partial conversions are not appropriate for stage3
> and if accepted for stage1 you should commit yourself to do a
> transition that at least allows converting targets (thus, I don't like
> your incremental patches at all).

I don't understand what makes you say this.  Partial conversions have
much lower chance of breaking things when the macro is set up in complicated
ways, and you also trivially avoid performance regressions at non-converted
call site.
At the same time, frontends show a lot of instability because of the way
they interact with target macros, and this can be eliminated with a partial
conversion to target hook.
For example for PR46738, I think it is best to change the two current users of
ASM_OUTPUT_IDENT - c-family/c-lex.c and ada/gcc-interface/trans.c to use a
hook, and define the hook in targhooks.c in terms of ASM_OUTPUT_IDENT,
but leave it for stage1 to sort out the mess of #defines #ifdefs / #undefs
that govern the definition of this macro.

* Re: Partial hookization / PR46738 (Was: Re: RFA: partially hookize *_TYPE_SIZE)
@ 2010-12-01 11:48       ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2010-12-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joern Rennecke; +Cc: gcc, Richard Guenther, Joseph S. Myers

> I don't understand what makes you say this.  Partial conversions have
> much lower chance of breaking things when the macro is set up in
> complicated ways, and you also trivially avoid performance regressions at
> non-converted call site.

But what's the point in doing this during stage3?  This will give no benefits
to the users and may introduce new bugs; we already have enough of them and
we should concentrate on fixing them.  IMO this is stage1 material only.

--
Eric Botcazou