* GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-03  9:18 Jakub Jelinek
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2014-11-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Richard Biener

Status
======

The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end
of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).

We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla
and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them
(you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).

What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there
are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved,
Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially
reviewed.  Thomas, do you plan to post OpenACC changes for review
still during stage1?  Do you have any dependencies there (PTX and/or
Intel offloading being merged first?)?  What else have been people working
on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only
acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.

Somewhat misleading quality data below, P3 bugs have not been
re-prioritized for quite some time now.  We promise to do this shortly
after entering Stage 3.

Quality Data
============

Priority          #   Change from last report
--------        ---   -----------------------
P1               10    +  10
P2               82    +   6
P3               92    +  86
--------        ---   -----------------------
Total           184    + 102

Previous Report
===============

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-04/msg00090.html

The next report will be sent by Richard, announcing transition to stage 3.

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-03 15:06 ` Bernd Schmidt
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernd Schmidt @ 2014-11-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, gcc; +Cc: Richard Biener

On 11/03/2014 10:18 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
> I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there
> are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved,
> Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially
> reviewed.

I think the basic ptx port has been fully reviewed and I'll start
checking things in soon. The offloading pieces have depend on Ilya's
patches. I'll let Thomas answer about the plan for OpenACC changes.

Bernd

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-03 19:16 ` David Malcolm
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: David Malcolm @ 2014-11-03 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: gcc, Richard Biener

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 10:18 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Status
> ======
>
> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end
> of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).
>
> We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
> still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla
> and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them
> (you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).
>
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
> I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there
> are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved,
> Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially
> reviewed.  Thomas, do you plan to post OpenACC changes for review
> still during stage1?  Do you have any dependencies there (PTX and/or
> Intel offloading being merged first?)?  What else have been people working
> on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
> As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only
> acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.

As well as the JIT work, I'm hoping to merge the
"dmalcolm/gimple-classes" git branch, which makes moves gimple statement
accessor typechecking from runtime to compile time, by making use of
gimple subclasses:
  https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg01380.html

This is a big patch, currently:
and a followup part of it involves renaming every "gimple" to be a
"gimple *".

Richi said (in https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg01536.html
):
> I think timing-wise you should now have the burden to wait
> for the end of stage1 (and thus all pending big merges).  I'm > fine
doing this refactoring very early in stage3.

I also have some mostly-done RTL subclass work which I hope to post
before stage1 closes (using rtx_insn * in some more places; about
another 20 or so patches).

FWIW I've been investigating generalizing the JIT API to also be usable
as a stable API for plugins (i.e. both extending *and* embedding from
the same API), but at the moment I don't think that work is going to be
ready in time for stage1 close.

Dave

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-03 20:25 ` Jonathan Wakely
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-11-03 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: gcc, Richard Biener

On 3 November 2014 09:18, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Status
> ======
>
> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end
> of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).
>
> We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
> still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla
> and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them
> (you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).
>
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?

In libstdc++ I'll be committing the new std::string implementation
before stage 1 ends and I posted my Filesystem TS implementation for
review months ago, I have one makefile/dejagnu thing to resolve before
that can be committed.

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-04 13:46 ` David Edelsohn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Edelsohn @ 2014-11-04 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: GCC Development, Richard Biener

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 4:18 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> Status
> ======
>
> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end
> of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).
>
> We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
> still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla
> and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them
> (you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).
>
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
> I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there
> are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved,
> Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially
> reviewed.  Thomas, do you plan to post OpenACC changes for review
> still during stage1?  Do you have any dependencies there (PTX and/or
> Intel offloading being merged first?)?  What else have been people working
> on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
> As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only
> acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.

Andrew Dixie is waiting for approval of the non-rs6000-specific
portions of his patch to move AIX EH tables to read-only data.

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-09/msg01897.html

Thanks, David

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-05 17:27 ` Olivier Hainque
       [not found] ` <0EFAB2BDD0F67E4FB6CCC8B9F87D756969C3C270@IRSMSX101.ger.corp.intel.com>
From: Olivier Hainque @ 2014-11-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Olivier Hainque, gcc, Richard Biener, Pierre-Marie de Rodat

Hello Jakub,

On Nov 3, 2014, at 10:18 , Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end
> of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage)
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?

> What else have been people working
> on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?

We (AdaCore) are planning to submit a new port for inclusion.  The assignment
paperwork is just being finalized. There's essentially a new config directory,
no core change, so should be suitable for stage 3 as well.

Apart from this, we have been working on the production of standard dwarf
instead of ad-hoc encodings for more Ada constructs. The first patches were
submitted for review and you have provided very useful feedback already.
Improvements were proposed and my understanding is that this is just pending
a final round of review

  https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg02217.html

We have a few followup patches on top of this one. Would be great if we could
get some of these in, and we'll be happy to submit at least the first pieces
for review. I understand this will be tight though and we'll wait until the
next stage1 for whatever remains.

Otherwise, still pending review is a correction to fix unwinding
on the e500 series of powerpc:

  https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg03264.html

(this could be stage3 or even 4 IMO).

Thanks a lot for your help!

@ 2014-11-12 14:42   ` Yuri Rumyantsev
From: Yuri Rumyantsev @ 2014-11-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Richard Biener, Jakub Jelinek

> Status
> ======
>
> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).
>
> We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
> still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them (you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).
>
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
> I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved, Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially reviewed.  Thomas, do you plan to post OpenACC changes for review still during stage1?  Do you have any dependencies there (PTX and/or Intel offloading being merged first?)?  What else have been people working on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
> As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.
>
> Somewhat misleading quality data below, P3 bugs have not been re-prioritized for quite some time now.  We promise to do this shortly after entering Stage 3.
>
> Quality Data
> ============
>
> Priority          #   Change from last report
> --------        ---   -----------------------
> P1               10    +  10
> P2               82    +   6
> P3               92    +  86
> --------        ---   -----------------------
> Total           184    + 102
>
> Previous Report
> ===============
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-04/msg00090.html
>
> The next report will be sent by Richard, announcing transition to stage 3.

Hi All,

I sent 3 patches for extended if-conversion which were sent today (two
of them were sent for review earlier).
Do we have a chance to be in GCC 5? Note that almost all changes are
essential only for loop marked with pragma simd. For all changes
stress testing was done using spec2000 and spec2006, i.e. all loops
are considered as marked with pragma simd and it did not show any
failures.

Thanks.
Yuri.

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-12 14:43     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2014-11-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Rumyantsev; +Cc: GCC Development, Jakub Jelinek

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Yuri Rumyantsev <ysrumyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Status
>> ======
>>
>> The trunk is scheduled to transition from Stage 1 to Stage 3 at the end of Saturday, November 15th (use your timezone to your advantage).
>>
>> We have been in Stage 1 for almost 7 months now with a fortnight
>> still to go.  Still now is a good time to look into bugzilla and pick one or two regressions in your area of expertise and fix them (you may want to prioritize regressions against both 4.9 and 5).
>>
>> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?
>> I'm aware of pending merges from match-and-simplify branch, there are the JIT changes partially? approved, MPX also partially? approved, Intel offloading patches partially approved, PTX support partially reviewed.  Thomas, do you plan to post OpenACC changes for review still during stage1?  Do you have any dependencies there (PTX and/or Intel offloading being merged first?)?  What else have been people working on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
>> As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.
>>
>> Somewhat misleading quality data below, P3 bugs have not been re-prioritized for quite some time now.  We promise to do this shortly after entering Stage 3.
>>
>> Quality Data
>> ============
>>
>> Priority          #   Change from last report
>> --------        ---   -----------------------
>> P1               10    +  10
>> P2               82    +   6
>> P3               92    +  86
>> --------        ---   -----------------------
>> Total           184    + 102
>>
>> Previous Report
>> ===============
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-04/msg00090.html
>>
>> The next report will be sent by Richard, announcing transition to stage 3.
>
> Hi All,
>
> I sent 3 patches for extended if-conversion which were sent today (two
> of them were sent for review earlier).
> Do we have a chance to be in GCC 5? Note that almost all changes are
> essential only for loop marked with pragma simd. For all changes
> stress testing was done using spec2000 and spec2006, i.e. all loops
> are considered as marked with pragma simd and it did not show any
> failures.

I will get to it soon, possibly not before stage1 officially ends.  But
you are definitely in the camp of people who posted their patch early
enough to be allowed in in stage3.

Thanks,
Richard.

> Thanks.
> Yuri.

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <0EFAB2BDD0F67E4FB6CCC8B9F87D756969C3C270@IRSMSX101.ger.corp.intel.com>
@ 2014-11-12 20:09 ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2014-11-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, gcc; +Cc: Richard Biener

On 11/03/2014 04:18 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> What larger merges are still planned for GCC 5?

I'm planning to merge the concepts branch.

Jason

* Re: GCC 5.0 Status Report (2014-11-03), Stage 1 ends Nov 15th
@ 2014-11-12 20:26   ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2014-11-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Richard Biener

@ 2014-11-03 16:19 Manuel López-Ibáñez
From: Manuel López-Ibáñez @ 2014-11-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What else have been people working
> on and can get posted for review before stage1 closes?
> As before, when new features are posted for review during stage 1 and only
> acked early during stage 3, they can still be accepted for GCC 5.

This patch:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-11/msg00000.html

is pending review and will allow two things:

1) Converting a lot of Fortran diagnostics to use the common
diagnostics machinery.

2) More precise locations within strings: https://gcc.gnu.org/PR52952
(I have a semi-tested patch, but it needs more work).

In addition, this patch:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-08/msg02723.html

is waiting for feedback:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-09/msg02467.html

As I said here: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-08/msg02700.html

"Despite the heroic, constant torrent of diagnostic fixes by Paolo,
Marek and others, I have not seen much progress on the key
infrastructure issues in the roadmap
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Better_Diagnostics). We have had at least
one major item per release since GCC 4.5, but I don't see any
particular item being tackled for GCC 5.0."

Having initial support for fix-it hints in GCC 5.0 would be nice.
Future versions of, for example, Emacs, could already make use of the
fix-it hints to automatically apply fixes, even if the number of hints
we give in GCC 5.0 is very limited.

Finally, there are patches from new contributors waiting for feedback:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg02662.html

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-10/msg01980.html

Cheers,

Manuel.