* Tradeoffs in the quality of GCC's repository conversion
@ 2019-05-19 12:48 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2019-05-19 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Martin Liška

Recent discussion of whether the GCC team can live with an absence
of SVN references references in a converted repository is emblematic
of a larger problem.

In this and other respects, Martin Liška's a approach is a clever
kluge that will produce a low-quality conversion. I won't tell you
not to go this route; it's your decision, and I cannot yet absolutely
rule out the possibility that even with the Go translation of
reposurgeon complete it is not a practical tool at this scale.

But I do urge you not to jump without thinking through the tradeoffs
carefully.  It's a pretty classic speed-vs-quality decision.

When I get that translation done, I should be able to produce a
conversion that can be demonstrated correct even near branches with
confused metadata due to SVN operator errors, which is the big ugly
case that ad-hoc approaches like mliska's basically cannot get right -
they don't do enough global analysis to resolve the defects.

It is unfortunately true that I don't know when I'll be able to do
this.  I think the odds that I will in fact be able to are 85%-90%,
but I can't predict a completion date.  The surrounding problems are
genuinely hard, I'm working alone on this, and I have to spend a lot of
my time on work that pays bills.

Still...if you opt for a quick, inexact conversion, do it with your
eyes open.  There will be a price for that choice later on when you
trip over the defects that a naive approach not only doesn't fix but
can actually amplify.

"The state calls its own violence `law', but that of the individual `crime'"
	-- Max Stirner