  • * Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
           [not found]     ` <20200309102520.GQ2156@tucnak>
           [not found]       ` <D8198CAE-5962-4F75-91EC-0A901CD4EE1C@tkoenig.net>
    @ 2020-03-09 19:49       ` Thomas König
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
    From: Thomas König @ 2020-03-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Some comments.

    Generally, I found the old format to be very good for navigating, and I
    would like to have the new one match the old one as closely as possible.

    > 1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
    > mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
    > has to always scroll dow
    Also important if one just wants to search; it is often the newest
    (or newer) message that is of interest.

    > 2) the dates and times of mails used to be shown (date as a section in the
    > list, times in the left column), now there is nothing, so without clicking
    > something it is hard to guess how exactly old it is

    I concur, that is irritating. You can guess, but you don't get the same
    sort of what's happening just from a glance.

    > 3) the columns were nicer (date, subject left justified, email right
    > justified, now there are no columns)

    This does make it harder to see what's what, true.

    > 4) some headers were shown, now there is nothing

    Yep.

    > 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't

    Surely, there is a feature for this?

    > 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

    This is something that I have rarely used.

    As far as the advantages go: A per-thread view is nice, but I don't
    think having it outweighs the disadvantages above.

     From my personal preference, having 1), 2) and 3) (basically, let the
    new interface look like the old one) would be great.

    Regards

    	Thomas

  • * Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
           [not found]     ` <20200309102520.GQ2156@tucnak>
           [not found]       ` <D8198CAE-5962-4F75-91EC-0A901CD4EE1C@tkoenig.net>
      2020-03-09 19:49       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Thomas König
    @ 2020-03-09 21:07       ` Joseph Myers
    From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-03-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Jakub Jelinek via Overseers wrote:

    > 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't

    The pipermail munging feature was unusably bad (it messed up Texinfo diffs
    very badly, including in the mbox version of the archive, e.g. "+@node" at
    the start of a line was interpreted as an email address).

    I'm very doubtful that munging that produces human-readable results
    actually does anything against harvesters.  Spammers happily send mail to
    addresses that don't exist at all (taken from message-ids, using random
    names as local-parts, etc.); I expect they'll happily try generating
    addresses from " at ".

    --
    Joseph S. Myers
    joseph@codesourcery.com

                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 2020-03-09 23:16       ` Jonathan Wakely
    From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-03-09 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 10:28, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
    > 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

    Based on info from #overseers ...

    While you can't download the raw text of an individual email now, you
    can get the entire month's mail in a compressed archive, from
    https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-bugs/

    Also, in each mail in the web archives the sender's address at the top
    of the page is a hyperlink which includes the message-id, allowing you
    to reply to it and preserve threading.
    I've adapted the script I was using to fetch the "raw text" mail and
    reply to it, the new version is attached.

    [-- Attachment #2: get_gcc_mail --]

    #!/bin/sh
    # Download mail from GCC list archive.

    if [[ $* == '' || $* == '--help' ]]
    then
      echo "Usage: $0 https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/list/YYYY-MM/msgNNNNN.html" >&2
      test $# -eq 1
      exit
    fi

    urldecode() {
      awk -niord '{printf RT?$0chr("0x"substr(RT,2)):$0}' RS=%..
    }

    set -xe
    draft=`mktemp /dev/shm/gcc-patches.XXXXXX`
    for i in "$@"
    do
      list=${i#*gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/}
      list=${list%%/*}
      echo "CC: $list@gcc.gnu.org" > $draft
      curl --silent --fail "$i" | sed -n '/LINK REL="made"/{s/^.*="mailto:/To: /;s/?Subject=Re:%20/%0aSubject: /;s/&In-Reply-To=/%0aIn-Reply-To: /;s/">$/%0a%0a/p}' | urldecode >> $draft
      mutt -H $draft -- "$(awk '/^To:/{print $2}' $draft)"
    done

  • * Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
           [not found]     ` <20200309102520.GQ2156@tucnak>
                             ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 2020-04-03 14:29       ` Martin Liška
    From: Martin Liška @ 2020-04-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On 3/9/20 11:25 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 10:46:31AM +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
    >> Hi Thomas, hi Overseers
    >>
    >> I can confirm that those are stripped off!
    >>
    >> I did sent an email with three attachments:
    >> * test.txt (text/plain)
    >> * test.diff (text/x-diff)
    >> * the company's disclaimer
    >>
    >> The attachment with 'text/x-diff' MIME was removed :-(
    >> See: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/current/054078.html
    >
    > A different mail archiver is now used it seems.
    > For the mails before the sourceware move, one can access the old one too,
    > e.g.
    > https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-bugs/2020-03/
    > is the old one vs.
    > https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-bugs/2020-March/
    > I've been using the gcc-bugs mail archive all the time in the past, but I'm
    > afraid pipermail at least in current configuration is significant step back
    > and I'll likely just use my mailbox from now on.
    > Some reasons:
    > 1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
    > mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
    > has to always scroll down
    > 2) the dates and times of mails used to be shown (date as a section in the
    > list, times in the left column), now there is nothing, so without clicking
    > something it is hard to guess how exactly old it is
    > 3) the columns were nicer (date, subject left justified, email right
    > justified, now there are no columns)
    > 4) some headers were shown, now there is nothing
    > 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't
    > 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing
    >
    > 	Jakub

    Hello.

    I agree with Jakub that the listed feature were nicer about the previous mail list
    archiver. On the other hand, I agree that we want to use something more recent that
    is support and under some development. That said, we did we decide to use mailman-2.1
    which is a legacy release that can be shortly out of support? Have you consider
    using version 3.3.0?

    I'm willing to customize the mail archiver, it should be quite simple.
    Would it be possible to apply local patches for a RHEL package that's install
    on the system?

    Thanks,
    Martin