On 2022-11-10 19:08 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote: > * Zack Weinberg via Gcc: > > > It’s come to my attention (via https://lwn.net/Articles/913505/ and > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/PortingToModernC) that GCC and > > Clang both plan to disable several “legacy” C language features by > > default in a near-future release (GCC 14, Clang 16) (see the Fedora > > wiki link for a list). > based on a limited attempt to get this fixed about three years > ago, I expect that many of the problematic packages have not had their > configure scripts regenerated using autoconf for a decade or more. This > means that as an autoconf maintainer, you unfortunately won't be able to > help us much. We changed the default in debian to re-autoconf on build a few years ago precisely so that changes in the tools (particularly new arch support) were picked up even by code that was not being re-released or released without autofoo updates. This has worked remarkably well. So changes in the tools will get used, at least in that context, which includes a fairly hefty pile of crufty old code. I have no feeling for how many packages are actually affected by this. Is there a quick way to test? Wookey -- Principal hats: Debian, Wookware, ARM http://wookware.org/