From: Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: 'posix_spawnp' error in build
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:40:19 -0600	[thread overview]

On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 10:28:14 -0600
Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> That is wrong.  Build dir as a subdir of the source dir is not
> supported.  It might work in many cases, but that does not mean it is
> okay to do.

Works perfectly fine on every version of GCC I've used, from 5 to 12, and I've done this countless times in various configurations.

If there is any kind of problem here, GCC needs to fix its junk build process, instead of being the one package on the planet requiring some absurd out-of-directory build.

> I don't know if that is one of the weird problems caused by this.  Easy
> enough to find out.  First "make distclean", and then "git status".
>
> The error message says that the newly compiled compiler driver ("xgcc",
> which will be insbtalled as just "gcc" eventually) cannot execute the
> newly compiled actual C++ compiler ("cc1plus"), not from the place it
> thinks it put it, anyway.

It's GNU software, so go figure.

A mysterious "No such file or directory" error here can also indicate the binary isn't finding the libc loader for some reason, due to bad rpath or some such. Use 'readelf -a' to ensure the C library loader path is correct.

Dave