* printed versions of GCC Internals book?
@ 2011-11-02  2:47 Alan Lehotsky
From: Alan Lehotsky @ 2011-11-02  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Alan Lehotsky

While I really like machine-readable (and searchable) text online for the GCC internals, there's still an atavistic streak in me that wants hard copy that I can put post-it notes on, run a highlighter over relevant passages or read when I'm not near a computer screen.

I have two bound hard-copies (but the newer one is GCC 2.95) and laser-printed newer editions, but I've decided I really miss the bound-book format.

Anybody have any experience with using one of the print-on-demand services to produce a recent version of the gccint manual?  I was actually kind of surprised that the FSF hasn't taken advantage of this as a fund-raising opportunity.

After the initial setup costs, it looks like the per/book price for the 700pg gccint would be about $20, but the setup fees (at least here http://www.harvard.com/on_our_shelves/in_store_book_printing/books_on_demand/ ) would be ~$100.

So, unless someone has already done this, is there anyone else who'd want to buy a printed copy at a price that would recover my investment in the setup costs and postage?  I'd be happy to turn over the whole project to the FSF so they could end up with an ongoing revenue stream once I break-even on the deal....

I'd guess that with 10 copies, we'd be looking at ~$35/copy, which is about as high I price as I'd be willing to pay if I was reading this email instead of writing it.

So, are there 10 people out there who'd like a reasonably current version of the Internals book, or is there someone else who'd like to drive?

-- Al Lehotsky

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-11-02  2:47 UTC | newest]