* Making debugable bins an option?
@ 1998-02-16 13:10 Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 1998-02-16 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hiho!

 I'd like to see an working option for disabling debugging for
 the built executables... If this is in general convenience I'd
 like to create the necessary patches to autoconf and Makefiles....

--

Servus,
       Daniel

* Re: Making debugable bins an option?
@ 1998-02-16 20:53 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Egger; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 98021620252503.00096@z2.n2480.f898.fidonet.org >you write:
  > Hiho!
  >
  >  I'd like to see an working option for disabling debugging for
  >  the built executables... If this is in general convenience I'd=20
  >  like to create the necessary patches to autoconf and Makefiles....
Do you mean in the compiler itself?

make CFLAGS="-O2" bootstrap

jeff

* Re: Making debugable bins an option?
@ 1998-02-19 10:45 Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 1998-02-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, you wrote:

>What about
>CFLAGS="-O2" ./configure
>
>then?

 Nice... it's getting better... but image parts which shouldn't be
 too much optimized because of possible optimizer bugs...
 I think that's why some optimize code in general with -O3 or better
 and others do not....
--

@ 1998-02-17 23:59 Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 1998-02-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, you wrote:

>At one time -g1 was used in LIBGCC_CFLAGS solely as a test of -g1;
>we may (or may not) want to have debugging of the library be solely
>dependent on the toplevel CFLAGS.

 May we or may we not? :))

>No such option currently exists.

 I know.... that's the reason for my mail :))

>Submissions for a configure option\r of that nature are welcome.

 As I offered: I'll do my very best....

--

@ 1998-02-17 23:59 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Egger; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 98021717371100.05277@z2.n2480.f898.fidonet.org >you write:
  > On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, you wrote:
  >
  > >Do you mean in the compiler itself?
  >
  >  everywhere....
In that case, not really.

  > >make CFLAGS="-O2" bootstrap
  >
  >  Nice idea, but: This doesn't override the -g in LIBGCC2_CFLAGS
  >  Hm, this should be changed, or not?
At one time -g1 was used in LIBGCC_CFLAGS solely as a test of -g1;
we may (or may not) want to have debugging of the library be solely
dependent on the toplevel CFLAGS.

  >  Therefore an --disable-debug option would be nice so debugging can
  >  be completely disabled if not desired....
No such option currently exists.  Submissions for a configure option
of that nature are welcome.

jeff

* Re: Making debugable bins an option?
@ 1998-02-17 23:59 ` Martin von Loewis
From: Martin von Loewis @ 1998-02-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Egger; +Cc: egcs

> >make CFLAGS="-O2" bootstrap
>  BUT (Note: it's an big but! :) )  this isn't the right way IMHO...

What about
CFLAGS="-O2" ./configure

then?

Martin

* Re: Making debugable bins an option?
@ 1998-02-17 13:54 Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 1998-02-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, you wrote:

>Do you mean in the compiler itself?

 everywhere....

>make CFLAGS="-O2" bootstrap

 Nice idea, but: This doesn't override the -g in LIBGCC2_CFLAGS
 Hm, this should be changed, or not?

 BUT (Note: it's an big but! :) )  this isn't the right way IMHO...
 because there is a possibility that one part ist compiled with and
 an other without debugginginformation not only because of the
 LIBGCC2_CFLAGS but also because it's possible to compile one part
 specifiying this flag, making a break (I often do) and then forgetting
 it to specify again...