Dear Joel, Thank you for your quick reply. On 06/06/18 17:57, Joel Sherrill wrote: > On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Paul Menzel wrote: >> Some scientists in our organization still want to use the Intel compiler, >> as they say, it produces faster code, which is then executed on clusters. >> Some resources on the Web [1][2] confirm this. (I am aware, that it’s >> heavily dependent on the actual program.) > > Do they have specific examples where icc is better for them? Or can point > to specific GCC PRs which impact them? > > GCC versions? > > Are there specific CPU model variants of concern? > > What flags are used to compile? Some times a bit of advice can produce > improvements. > > Without specific examples, it is hard to set goals. I could get such examples, but it will take some time, as it’s from other institutes. The clusters use exclusively Intel processors. (Hopefully, that will change.) I also found the article from the German Linux-Magazin in an English version at the ADMIN Magazin [3]. The German article had a more strong statement, that they use the Intel compilers due to performance reasons. >> My question is, is it realistic, that GCC could catch up and that the >> scientists will start to use it over Intel’s compiler? Or will Intel >> developers always have the lead, because they have secret documentation and >> direct contact with the processor designers? >> >> If it is realistic, how can we get there? Would first the program be >> written, and then the compiler be optimized for that? Or are just more GCC >> developers needed? > > For sure examples are needed so there are test cases to use for reference. > > If you want anything improved in any free software project, sponsoring > developers is always a good thing. If you sponsor the right developers. :) That’s what I hoped for, but didn’t ask here. If you could point me to a list of possible contractors, that would be great. Please keep in mind, that in my organization certain decisions are made *very* slowly. I’ll try to get answers quickly, but procuring finances might take longer (half a year or much longer). Kind regards, Paul >> [1]: https://colfaxresearch.com/compiler-comparison/ >> [2]: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.679.1280&rep=rep1&type=pdf [3] http://www.admin-magazine.com/HPC/Articles/Selecting-Compilers-for-a-Supercomputer "HPC Compilers"