* Re: egcs install docs: --enable-threads
@ 1997-12-02 16:29 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pooh; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 3484A610.53A37970@msu.ru >you write:
  > Hi,
  >
  > Looking at "Configuring egcs-1.00" I found an option
  > --enable-threads. Indeed, this option does nothing on
  > most platforms.
I don't know what platforms it was meant to work on -- I just went through
the configuration code and made note of options I found.

Jeff

* egcs install docs: --enable-threads
@ 1997-12-02 18:18 Andrey Slepuhin
From: Andrey Slepuhin @ 1997-12-02 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

Hi,

Looking at "Configuring egcs-1.00" I found an option
--enable-threads. Indeed, this option does nothing on
most platforms. For example, on my AIX box thread
support is always included and is enabled by -mthreads
compiler flag. But I must manually patch configuration
files to receive thread-safe versions of libgcc and
libstdc++ (and --enable-threads option doesn't help with
this). As I do this using multilib configuration, I also
must remove all cpu-specific targets (I don't need them,
and they make bootstrapping process too long). It would
be good if multilib configuration will be more flexible
or if --enable-threads option will enable creation of
thread-safe versions of libraries without multilib.
Any ideas?

Andrey.

* Re: egcs install docs: --enable-threads
@ 1997-12-02 22:54     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-02 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Krivosheev; +Cc: pooh, egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.3.96.971203003140.11680A-100000@drabble >you write:
  > --eable-threads, i believe, is for ObjC runtime library.
  > It will affect only libobjc.a
Thanks.  It does appear that way.

I've made a note in configure.html.

Thanks,
jeff

* Re: egcs install docs: --enable-threads
@ 1997-12-02 23:24   ` Oleg Krivosheev
From: Oleg Krivosheev @ 1997-12-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: pooh, egcs

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 16:28:58 -0800
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
> To: pooh@msu.ru
> Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: egcs install docs: --enable-threads
>
>   In message < 3484A610.53A37970@msu.ru >you write:
>   > Hi,
>   >
>   > Looking at "Configuring egcs-1.00" I found an option
>   > --enable-threads. Indeed, this option does nothing on
>   > most platforms.
> I don't know what platforms it was meant to work on -- I just went through
> the configuration code and made note of options I found.

hmm..

--eable-threads, i believe, is for ObjC runtime library.
It will affect only libobjc.a

regards

OK