* egcs-970828: Some nits
@ 1997-09-03  3:37 Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 1997-09-03  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

- At least with gcc-2.7.2.2.f.2 under Linux, it won't build by 'make': The
  spec file created in .../gcc/ is picked up by gcc (?!), which doesn't
  like it at all. Workaround is to copy gcc's spec in there, and build by
  hand (stage by stage): First stage, then 'rm spec; make spec' and then
  second and third stages. 'make compare' is silent for '-O2
  -fomit-frame-pointer -mpentium' here.
- Line 2201 of ...gcc/invoke.texi contains your address with a single '@'
  in it, makeinfo chokes on that and kills the installation
- It would be nice to install as something like 'gcc-2.8.0' &c, so it
  doesn't kill your setup
- What happened to the ChangeLog files? I've only got .10 and .11 for gcc,
  it seems a lot of history got lost...
- The output of './configure --help' isn't the most helpful ;-)
- Please don't bundle this much stuff into the distributions, you might as
  well assume people are able to get texinfo &c on their own.

OK, let's test this baby some now.  Seems that executables/objects are
somewhat larger than my older gcc with '-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486
-malign-{jumps,loops,functions}=2' (standard kernel compile options),
compared to '-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mpentium' on the new one.  At least,
gcc has learned to count malign entities by itself now ;-)
--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viqa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

[parent not found: <199709040329.XAA05067@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>]
* Re: egcs-970828: Some nits
@ 1997-09-04 18:33 meissner
From: meissner @ 1997-09-04 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbristow, law; +Cc: egcs, vonbrand

| > I'm thinking about adding a "bootstrap" target at the toplevel that heads
| > into the gcc tree first, does a 3stage on gcc, then builds the rest of
| > the tree.
| >
| Please make this delete stage1 when stage2 is finished, so that you don't
| have to have stage{1+2+3} worth of free disk space to do this in.

On the other hand, if you don't keep all three directories around, it can make
it mightly hard to debug when things go wrong.  I find bootstrapping with
-save-temps helps even more (again at a cost in disk space).  Every thing in
life is a tradeoff.