From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
To: Craig Burley <burley@gnu.org>
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: collect2 compiles C with g77 !
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message < 199711112146.QAA18548@melange.gnu.org >you write:
  > >Actually, the language specific drivers (g77, g++) aren't supposed to
  > >call other languages unless explicitly asked for by the user (-x option).
  >
  > I don't understand this, or maybe the rationale behind it.
  >
  > Why shouldn't "g77 foo.f bar.c" do what the user expects --
  > compile bar.c using the C compiler and foo.f using the Fortran
  > compiler, and link the objects into a single executable along
  > with the Fortran libraries?
Actually, I probably should have said something like

"the language specific drivers don't call other languages unless explicitly
asked to".

Instead of implying that it policy of some sort.  It's just how they work,
not a statement about what is right or wrong.

Certainly "g77 foo.f bar.c" is a pretty good argument that g77 should call
out to the C driver appropriately for bar.c

Anyone want to look at the lang_specific_driver stuff and see how hard this
is to make work correctly within that framework?  We don't want to go back
to having a completely separate g77 driver -- it causes too many headaches.

jeff