* Re: egcs-971105 config.guess and gcc/config.guess have diverged
@ 1997-11-12 14:37 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1997-11-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilson; +Cc: egcs

 > From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>
 >
 > 	Ooops, what I meant to say was egcs' config.guess and
 > 	gcc-2.7.90's config.guess have diverged.  And I think it does matter
 > 	given the recent failures I had on alphaev56.
 >
 > Yes it matters.  The goal is to try to keep them in sync, but
 > occasional short term divergences will be unavoidable.  We
 > unfortunately did not have any merges from the FSF since early Aug, so
 > anything added to the FSF gcc2 sources after that will not be in EGCS.
 > The alphaev56 support was added after that point, and hence is not in
 > EGCS yet.
 >
 > This stuff is so new that we may not be able to support it in the
 > initial EGCS release.
 >
 > Incidentally, after starting a branch for the initial EGCS release,
 > the first thing we did was merge with the most recent FSF snapshot, so
 > the post release EGCS sources will be up-to-date with the FSF as of
 > the Oct 21 snapshot.  The EGCS snapshots have since been coming from
 > the release branch.  As soon as the release is out, we will make
 > snapshots from the mainline sources again, and the alphaev56 support
 > will be there.
 >
 > Jim

Jim,

	I don't think the problem is, as you imply above, that support
is missing.  The issue is that ev5* support is there and broken.  At
least I couldn't bootstrap my ev5 with egcs out of the box.

	If the support doesn't work at all, then at the very least,
config.guess should set the target as alpha-dec-osf4.0 so a working
compiler could be built, assuming ev5's are backward compatible.

	I think it _would_ actually work except that config.guess
guesses wrongly.  When I supply the target to configure and build
alpha-dec-osf4.0 (least common denominator) or alphaev5-dec-osf4.0b, it
works.  When I rely on the target config.guess chooses,
alphaev56-dec-osf4.0, it crashes during bootstrap.

	So fixing config.guess should be all that's required.  If you
merged in the alpha diffs (quite short) from testgcc-971104, it would
be fine.  (Don't use the one from testgcc-971111 because the snapshot
has the wrong copy.)

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi				Project Manager
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu			ICon CMT Corp.

* Re: egcs-971105 config.guess and gcc/config.guess have diverged
@ 1997-11-12 15:00 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1997-11-12 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: wilson, egcs, law

On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 04:48:23PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> 	I don't think the problem is, as you imply above, that support
> is missing.  The issue is that ev5* support is there and broken.  At
> least I couldn't bootstrap my ev5 with egcs out of the box.

It's not ev5 thats the problem but ev56 (since it is ev5's that I have),
almost certainly caused by the relatively untested byte-word extension.

We should probably not enable MASK_BYTE_OPS by default in configure.in
until we've got it fixed.

r~

* Re: egcs-971105 config.guess and gcc/config.guess have diverged
@ 1997-11-13 11:19   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-11-13 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: Kaveh R. Ghazi, wilson, egcs

  In message < 19971112150154.29821@dot.cygnus.com >you write:
  > On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 04:48:23PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
  > > 	I don't think the problem is, as you imply above, that support
  > > is missing.  The issue is that ev5* support is there and broken.  At
  > > least I couldn't bootstrap my ev5 with egcs out of the box.
  >
  > It's not ev5 thats the problem but ev56 (since it is ev5's that I have),
  > almost certainly caused by the relatively untested byte-word extension.
  >
  > We should probably not enable MASK_BYTE_OPS by default in configure.in
  > until we've got it fixed.
Kaveh -- can you try removing MASK_BYTE_OPS in gcc/{configure,configure,in}
for the alpha56 target, then try to bootstrap the ev56?

If that works we can use it for the release; for the mainline we've already
sucked in the work from ev56 work from the FSF tree.

jeff

* Re: egcs-971105 config.guess and gcc/config.guess have diverged
@ 1997-11-13 14:58 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1997-11-13 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, rth; +Cc: egcs, ghazi, wilson

 > From: Richard Henderson <rth@dot.cygnus.com>
 >
 > On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 04:48:23PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
 > > 	I don't think the problem is, as you imply above, that support
 > > is missing.  The issue is that ev5* support is there and broken.  At
 > > least I couldn't bootstrap my ev5 with egcs out of the box.
 >
 > It's not ev5 thats the problem but ev56 (since it is ev5's that I have),
 > almost certainly caused by the relatively untested byte-word extension.
 >
 > We should probably not enable MASK_BYTE_OPS by default in configure.in
 > until we've got it fixed.
 > r~

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
 >
 >   In message < 19971112150154.29821@dot.cygnus.com >you write:
 >   > On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 04:48:23PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
 >   > > 	I don't think the problem is, as you imply above, that support
 >   > > is missing.  The issue is that ev5* support is there and broken.  At
 >   > > least I couldn't bootstrap my ev5 with egcs out of the box.
 >   >
 >   > It's not ev5 thats the problem but ev56 (since it is ev5's that I have),
 >   > almost certainly caused by the relatively untested byte-word extension.
 >   >
 >   > We should probably not enable MASK_BYTE_OPS by default in configure.in
 >   > until we've got it fixed.
 > Kaveh -- can you try removing MASK_BYTE_OPS in gcc/{configure,configure,in}
 > for the alpha56 target, then try to bootstrap the ev56?
 >
 > If that works we can use it for the release; for the mainline we've already
 > sucked in the work from ev56 work from the FSF tree.
 > jeff

Gentlemen,

	I am still not convinced when you say I am using an ev56.  (I
know it sounds kind of silly that I can't identify what system I am
using.  I am logging in remotely to a guest account so I can't actually
look at the physical box to check anything.)

	From "sizer -c" I get:
 > cpu             "DEC_KN20AA"
in case that helps ID the chip.

	How do you explain the discrepancy between
testgcc-971104/config.guess (which says alphaev5-dec-osf4.0b) and
egcs/config.guess (which says alphaev56-dec-osf4.0)?

	In a message from rth:
( http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1997-Nov/0434.html ) I was told that the
gcc2 config.guess gets it right.  So I say the entire problem lies in
the fact that egcs/config.guess gets my chip wrong which of course
causes the bootstrap to fail.

	Regarding testing without setting MASK_BYTE_OPS, I think I've
already verified that avoiding setting this works, in a round about way.
What I did was bootstrap with "configure alphaev5-dec-osf4.0b" to test
if that worked (it did) since I suspected that my system was in fact an
ev5, not an ev56 as egcs claimed.

	Looking in configure, the difference between alphaev5 and ev56
is only the MASK_BYTE_OPS.  So having a successful bootstrap
configured as alphaev5-dec-osf4.0b should give us confidence that
taking out the MASK_BYTE_OPS makes it work on my system.

	However I don't think this looking at the problem this way is
the right issue to examine, as I explained above.

		--Kaveh
--

@ 1997-11-12 12:09 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1997-11-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)