* Q. Re haifa and other stuff under Linux i386
@ 1998-06-24 18:13 Ben Scherrey
From: Ben Scherrey @ 1998-06-24 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Have upgraded my RedHat 5.1 to egcs 1.0.3a release and was wondering if
haifa instruction scheduling was intended to be used for my platform. I
haven't tried building it yet but noticed that its default is off and
didn't want to mess with something I wasn't at all familiar with. Can
someone point me to a paper or documentation on what haifa is? Also -
where in the source code would I look to see how dynamic memory
allocation and rtti are implemented?

	thanx & later,

		Ben Scherrey
		Proteus Technologies, Inc.

* Re: Q. Re haifa and other stuff under Linux i386
@ 1998-06-25  0:25 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-06-25  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scherrey; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 3591A3F9.E5D92ACB@gte.net >you write:
  > Have upgraded my RedHat 5.1 to egcs 1.0.3a release and was wondering if
  > haifa instruction scheduling was intended to be used for my platform. I
The x86 port hasn't been tuned for the haifa scheduler yet.  Using
haifa shouldn't cause incorrect code to be generated, but it's probably
not going to help performance in any significant way.

  > someone point me to a paper or documentation on what haifa is?
It's just a new instruction scheduler implementation that has the
ability to perform cross block scheduling and more accurately model
superscalar machines.

jeff