* system setup with egcs installed
@ 1997-12-05 21:39 Pinwu Xu
From: Pinwu Xu @ 1997-12-05 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi all,
   This question is a little off topic, but I do want to be able
to use egcs and gcc at the same time. As mentioned in the FAQ,
one can use them both by symbolic links, for example

ln -sf /usr/local/egcs/bin/gcc /usr/loca/bin/gcc
ln -sf /usr/local/gcc2/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc2

with configure option --prefix=/usr/local/egcs for egcs. However,
I used --prefix=/usr/lpp/egcs instead, but the link from

ln -sf /usr/lpp/egcs/bin/gcc /usr/lpp/bin/gcc

doesn't work (gcc -v generates error), so I simply add
/usr/lpp/egcs/bin into my PATH. So now the egcs gcc stuff (cpp,
g++, c++, etc.) works fine now.

   The problem I have now is I don't know if there is any other
system file I should change (or maybe I should add
--execute-dir=/usr/local/bin configuring egcs?) as the
configure stuff now working flawlessly. The following is for
tcl8.0 (I'll attach the output) and for gtk+:

/usr/lpp/src/gimp/gtk+>./configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one

I was just wanting to test the usability of egcs, and hope I could
use it. As I remember seeing post saying that tcl has been
compiled using egcs. I am using all existing libraries except
new libstdc++ and libg++2.8.0b6.3 as well as stuff in the
new gcc-lib libraries.

The good news is that the Omni-Broker configures alright and the
library has been compiled but later ran into compile error.
(which is much better as it ran into g++ internal error from
the very first function using gcc2.7.2.3 and libg++2.7.2.8).

Thanks in advance for your time.

con_stuff

[-- Attachment #2: con_stuff --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3066 bytes --]

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for getcwd... (cached) no
checking for opendir... (cached) no
checking for strstr... (cached) no
checking for strtol... (cached) no
checking for tmpnam... (cached) no
checking for waitpid... (cached) no
checking for strerror... (cached) no
checking for getwd... (cached) no
checking for wait3... (cached) no
checking for uname... (cached) no
checking for sin... (cached) no
checking for main in -lieee... (cached) no
checking dirent.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp
checking for errno.h... (cached) yes
checking for float.h... (cached) yes
checking for values.h... (cached) yes
checking for limits.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/wait.h... (cached) no
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking termios vs. termio vs. sgtty... none
checking fd_set and sys/select... no
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... (cached) no
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... (cached) sys/time.h
checking for tm_zone in struct tm... (cached) no
checking for tzname... (cached) no
checking tm_tzadj in struct tm... no
checking tm_gmtoff in struct tm... no
checking long timezone variable... no
checking time_t timezone variable... no
checking for st_blksize in struct stat... (cached) no
checking proper strstr implementation... broken, using substitute
checking for strtoul... (cached) no
checking for strtod... (cached) no
checking for strtod... (cached) no
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) no
checking for mode_t... (cached) yes
checking for pid_t... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for opendir... (cached) no
checking union wait... no
checking matherr support... no
checking for vfork... (cached) no
checking for strncasecmp... (cached) no
checking for strncasecmp in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking for strncasecmp in -linet... (cached) no
checking for BSDgettimeofday... (cached) no
checking for gettimeofday... (cached) no
checking for gettimeofday declaration... present
checking for main in -linet... (cached) no
checking for net/errno.h... (cached) no
checking whether char is unsigned... (cached) no
checking signed char declarations... no
checking for connect... (cached) no
checking for main in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking for accept... (cached) no
checking for gethostbyname... (cached) no
checking for main in -lnsl... (cached) no
checking system version (for dynamic loading)... Linux-2.0.32
checking for dlopen in -ldl... (cached) no
checking for dld.h... (cached) no
Can't figure out how to do dynamic loading or shared libraries
on this system.
checking for sys/ioctl.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/filio.h... (cached) no
checking FIONBIO vs. O_NONBLOCK for nonblocking I/O... O_NONBLOCK
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating tclConfig.sh

* Re: system setup with egcs installed
@ 1997-12-07 10:07 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pinwu Xu; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 19971206053830.15502.qmail@hotmail.com >you write:
  > with configure option --prefix=/usr/local/egcs for egcs. However,
  > I used --prefix=/usr/lpp/egcs instead, but the link from
  >
  > ln -sf /usr/lpp/egcs/bin/gcc /usr/lpp/bin/gcc
  >
  > doesn't work (gcc -v generates error), so I simply add
  > /usr/lpp/egcs/bin into my PATH. So now the egcs gcc stuff (cpp,
  > g++, c++, etc.) works fine now.
Exactly what error did it generate?  I'm not aware of any reason why
this wouldn't work.

jeff