* Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-10 14:26 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-01-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

With the patch I just posted, there are three remaining host Makefile
fragments and ten host configuration headers.  I'd like to go through
them and discuss their remaining uses.

x-interix sets X_CFLAGS (to -D__INTERIX -D_ALL_SOURCE).  It seems to
me that this should be unnecessary, but I am not familiar enough with
Interix to be sure.

m68k/x-next sets BOOT_LDFLAGS; there is a comment about needing to
make enough room for f771.  This falls into the same category as the
stage1_cflags we need for some machines - should be pushed into
configure or config.gcc.

alpha/x-vms enables building two programs and two .o files which are
not useful except on VMS.  The .o files are necessary when targeting
VMS but apparently cannot be built with GCC.  The programs translate
Unix to VMS options; I'm not sure why this is needed.  We're stuck
with this file for the time being.

The xm-headers have four general categories of things in them.

First, dinking with HOST_WIDE(ST)_INT.  This is done by
alpha/xm-alpha-interix.h, alpha/xm-vms.h, alpha/xm-vms64.h, and
i386/xm-i386-interix.h, and should be unnecessary.  hwint.h in
conjunction with the configure script is supposed to get this right
always.  I would appreciate it if the maintainers of these host
configurations would check what happens if the dinking is removed, and
contact me with detailed descriptions of any failures.

Second, adjusting PATH_SEPARATOR, DIR_SEPARATOR, DIR_SEPARATOR_2, and
HAVE_DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM.  This is done by i386/xm-cygwin.h,
i386/xm-djgpp.h, i386/xm-mingw32.h, and i386/xm-vsta.h.  In canonical
form, all four of these are set as a block.  However, xm-cygwin.h does
not set PATH_SEPARATOR, and xm-vsta.h only sets PATH_SEPARATOR (why?)

I think it would be appropriate to slave the SEPARATOR macros to
HAVE_DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM, and move HDBFS into xm_defines.

Third, setting HOST_OBJECT_SUFFIX and/or HOST_EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX.  This
is done by alpha/xm-vms.h, i386/xm-cygwin.h, i386/xm-djgpp.h,
i386/xm-mingw32.h, and vax/xm-vms.h.  There isn't a better place to
put these than there.

Finally, miscellaneous stuff: alpha/xm-vms.h, i386/xm-djgpp.h,
mips/xm-iris5.h, vax/xm-vms.h.  We're stuck with all of it.  Well,
arguably the irix5 and VAX VMS configurations should be scrapped.

zw

* RE: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-16  7:36 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2002-01-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: mike stump @ 2002-01-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj, jbuck; +Cc: gcc, jsm28

> From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM>
> To: dj@redhat.com (DJ Delorie)
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:25:12 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: jsm28@cam.ac.uk, gcc@gcc.gnu.org, dj@redhat.com

> Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid, unless we mark the vast majority
> of platforms deprecated because no one sent us a test result during
> development.

A gcc that only supports 6 platforms, and nothing else isn't what we
should sign up for.  This would be bad.  Making a decision that
ultimately results in this outcome, is also bad and I am against it.

I'd rather deprecate because we believe that no machines exist in
production or near production use on the planet, not because of a lack
of testcase submittal.  Go count the number of platforms submitted in
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html.  There aren't many.

Bitrotting is fine.  Everything bitrots.  It is a natural state of
affairs.  As the code matures, the incident rate of bitrotting should
decrease.  A slightly bitrotted port is usually fairly easy to get
going again.

It is when we don't expect it is useful to get a port going again,
that it might be beneficial to remove it.

IBM-RT I think is finally dead.  Quick, bonus points if someone can
even name the chip in it.  Kenner, you don't get to play (I think you
wrote it).

Likewise any OS that hasn't had a new release in 5 years.  These are
likely to not be worthwhile to preserve.

* Re: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-16 20:23 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2002-01-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, robertlipe

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:49:48 -0600
> From: Robert Lipe <robertlipe@usa.net>
> To: "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>

> The embedded guys might still care about i960.

Our take, i960 is basically dead.  Sure, there are folks that have it,
that use it, that are using older releases, and might need support for
it, but they probably don't want a new release for it.  We've removed
it from our releases.

* Re: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-16 21:00 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2002-01-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsm28, zack; +Cc: dj, gcc, mark

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:12:33 +0000 (GMT)
> From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
> To: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>

> I think elxsi has been suggested as the one of the above most likely
> to be obsolete.

It can go.  Last hardware built around 87 maybe.  Company defunct soon
after.  A decade to wash the machines out of the pipeline.  Wait 5
years, time to remove.

* Re: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-17  7:26 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-01-17  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: gcc

    A gcc that only supports 6 platforms, and nothing else isn't what we
    should sign up for.  This would be bad.  Making a decision that
    ultimately results in this outcome, is also bad and I am against it.

I agree.

The major point of GCC is its diversity: that it runs on every machine.
Agressively removing targets would greatly diminish that.

    Bitrotting is fine.  Everything bitrots.  It is a natural state of
    affairs.  As the code matures, the incident rate of bitrotting should
    decrease.  A slightly bitrotted port is usually fairly easy to get
    going again.

Agreed.

    IBM-RT I think is finally dead.  Quick, bonus points if someone can
    even name the chip in it.  Kenner, you don't get to play (I think you
    wrote it).

I did.  Not only that, I still use the machine every day, though I don't
use GCC or any other development tool on it.

    Likewise any OS that hasn't had a new release in 5 years.  These are
    likely to not be worthwhile to preserve.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  People still use old machines.

* Re: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-17  7:33 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-01-17  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj; +Cc: gcc

    IMHO a platform should be deprecated iff it meets all these:

    1. Platform not supported by manufacturer for N years
    2. No volunteers to maintain the port
    3. Known not to function for the last N minor releases (2.95, 3.0, 3.1)
    4. Nobody notices #3 :-)

Of course, if #4 is true, the first part of #3 can't be, but basically
I agree with a very strict criteria like this.

And even then, I don't recommend actually *removing* the files, just
not documenting it as a supported port.  There is great historical value
in these files and people shouldn't have to find old releases to see them.

* Re: Remaining host configuration fragments
@ 2002-01-22 13:06 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-01-22 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars.spam; +Cc: gcc

    I asked in three places whether anyone was using GCC to compile code
    for the PDP-11: the PDP Unix Preservation Society mailing list (where
    the 2.11BSD maintainer lurks), the classiccmp mailing list, and the
    alt.sys.pdp11 newsgroup.  In all cases, there were no voices raised in
    defense of the PDP-11 back end in GCC.

Which suggests that the people using it are not in those forums.

I'd be very hesitant to remove a back-end that was recently added to GCC
no matter how little use we think it's getting.