* gcc command line exceeds 8191 when building in XP
@ 2010-07-19 14:13 IceColdBeer
From: IceColdBeer @ 2010-07-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I'm building a project using GNU gcc, but the command line used to build
each source file sometimes exceeds 8191 characters, which is the maximum
supported command line length under Win XP.    Even worst under Win 2000,
where the maximum command line length is limited to 2047 characters.

Can the GNU gcc read the build options from a file instead ?    I have
searched, but cannot find an option in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,
ICB

* Re: gcc command line exceeds 8191 when building in XP
@ 2010-07-19 15:41 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2010-07-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-help

On 7/19/2010 4:13 PM, IceColdBeer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building a project using GNU gcc, but the command line used to build
> each source file sometimes exceeds 8191 characters, which is the maximum
> supported command line length under Win XP.    Even worst under Win 2000,
> where the maximum command line length is limited to 2047 characters.
>
> Can the GNU gcc read the build options from a file instead ?    I have
> searched, but cannot find an option in the documentation.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ICB

redirecting to gcc-help.
The gcc builds for Windows themselves use a scheme for splitting the
link into multiple steps in order to deal with command line length
limits.  I would suggest adapting that.  Can't study it myself now while
travelling.

--
Tim Prince

* Re: gcc command line exceeds 8191 when building in XP
@ 2010-07-19 15:48   ` Cedric Roux
From: Cedric Roux @ 2010-07-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc, gcc-help

Tim Prince wrote:
> On 7/19/2010 4:13 PM, IceColdBeer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm building a project using GNU gcc, but the command line used to build
>> each source file sometimes exceeds 8191 characters, which is the maximum
>> supported command line length under Win XP.    Even worst under Win 2000,
>> where the maximum command line length is limited to 2047 characters.
>>
>> Can the GNU gcc read the build options from a file instead ?    I have
>> searched, but cannot find an option in the documentation.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> ICB
>>

> redirecting to gcc-help.
> The gcc builds for Windows themselves use a scheme for splitting the
> link into multiple steps in order to deal with command line length
> limits.  I would suggest adapting that.  Can't study it myself now while
> travelling.

@file says the manpage. "Read command-line options from file."

* Re: gcc command line exceeds 8191 when building in XP
@ 2010-07-21 15:15     ` IceColdBeer
From: IceColdBeer @ 2010-07-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Cedric Roux-4 wrote:

> Tim Prince wrote:
>> On 7/19/2010 4:13 PM, IceColdBeer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm building a project using GNU gcc, but the command line used to build
>>> each source file sometimes exceeds 8191 characters, which is the maximum
>>> supported command line length under Win XP.    Even worst under Win
>>> 2000,
>>> where the maximum command line length is limited to 2047 characters.
>>>
>>> Can the GNU gcc read the build options from a file instead ?    I have
>>> searched, but cannot find an option in the documentation.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> ICB
>>>

>> redirecting to gcc-help.
>> The gcc builds for Windows themselves use a scheme for splitting the
>> link into multiple steps in order to deal with command line length
>> limits.  I would suggest adapting that.  Can't study it myself now while
>> travelling.
>>

> @file says the manpage. "Read command-line options from file."

Thanks, yes this is available in version 4.5.0 (tdm-1) of gcc.     Correct
me if I wrong, but this feature is not available in gcc version 3.4.5.