* Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-01 12:01 David Dolan
From: David Dolan @ 2000-08-01 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Does any documentation of the different nodes in the GCC tree structure and
their fields exist? (other than the code itself)  If so, where can I get it.

Thanks!

David Dolan
ddolan@andrew.cmu.edu

* Re: Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-01 14:12 ` Artem Khodush
From: Artem Khodush @ 2000-08-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dolan, gcc

> Does any documentation of the different nodes in the GCC tree structure and
> their fields exist? (other than the code itself)  If so, where can I get it.

Look at the file ir.texi (thanks to Mark Mitchell) in the gcc/cp subdirectory.

Best regards,
Artem.

* Re: Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-02  1:01 ` Tim Josling
From: Tim Josling @ 2000-08-02  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dolan; +Cc: gcc

The GCC manual is not very helpful on this topic.

It basically says to look at tree.h and tree.def, which is better
than nothing but not much better.

My web site http://www.geocities.com/timjosling/cobol_toc.html
has in chapter 14 a lot of documentation on interfacing to the
tree structures, and also has links to all the other info I could
find on this topic. Good luck! It is possible.

By the way my employer signed the disclaimer yesterday and I sent
off the forms today so I am one step closer to being able to have
this stuff put into the GCC manual (just need Joachim Nadler's
forms now).

Tim Josling

David Dolan wrote:

> Does any documentation of the different nodes in the GCC tree structure and
> their fields exist? (other than the code itself)  If so, where can I get it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Dolan
> ddolan@andrew.cmu.edu

* Re: Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-03  0:28   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-08-03  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Josling; +Cc: David Dolan, gcc

  In message < 3987D4D8.533F16D3@melbpc.org.au >you write:
  > It basically says to look at tree.h and tree.def, which is better
  > than nothing but not much better.
Yup.  You might also be able to get some info from the file "ir.texi"
in the cp subdir.

  > My web site http://www.geocities.com/timjosling/cobol_toc.html
  > has in chapter 14 a lot of documentation on interfacing to the
  > tree structures, and also has links to all the other info I could
  > find on this topic. Good luck! It is possible.
I wouldn't mind seeing links to this info on the gcc web pages.

  > By the way my employer signed the disclaimer yesterday and I sent
  > off the forms today so I am one step closer to being able to have
  > this stuff put into the GCC manual (just need Joachim Nadler's
  > forms now).
Even better!  We've needed documentation on the tree structures for
a long time.

jeff

* Re: Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-02 11:18 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2000-08-02 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: ddolan, gcc

Mike Stump wrote:
> Yes, there is a 543+ page manual.
>
> If you haven't seen it, more `find . -name *.texi -print`...  Also on
> the web site, see http://gcc.gnu.org/ and look under Docs:Manual:gcc.

Mike, you've repeatedly posted messages like this to the gcc list.
These messages are frequently insulting, and in this case, simply wrong,
as the manual has no relevant information.

(it wouldn't be insulting to point someone to the manual when there is
good information there, but even in that case it could be done with less
sarcasm than is your usual style)

It makes the gcc list a more unpleasant place that you do this so much.
Since we (the SC) promised Mark Mitchell that we'd try to stamp out rude
behavior on the gcc list as one of the conditions for him taking the job,
I'm calling you on this.  You need to clean up your act.  It's especially
counterproductive to insult people who are trying to learn enough about
gcc internals to make significant contributions.  Before hitting "send"
on gcc messages, please ask yourself whether you would feel insulted
if you were the recipient, not the sender, of one of your missives.

Before telling someone to RTFM, please make sure that there is something
relevant in the FM.  In this case, had you yourself read the FM, you would
have found the following text (the last paragraph of gcc/rtl.texi):

> The proper way to interface GNU CC to a new language front end is with
> the ``tree'' data structure.  There is no manual for this data
> structure, but it is described in the files @file{tree.h} and
> @file{tree.def}.

* Re: Tree documentation
@ 2000-08-01 14:06 Mike Stump