From: Matt Austern <austern@apple.com>
To: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com>,
	Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: DR handling for C++
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:12:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sep 20, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Matt Austern wrote:
>
>> On Sep 20, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> I've been asked to provide my input on the handling of DRs in the
>>> C++ front end.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I don't have the messages from the original thread,
>>> so I'm off starting a new thread.
>>>
>>> I certainly agree with Matt and Nathan that there's no point in
>>> supporting C++98 separately from C++03.  I also agree that new
>>> features in future revisions of C++ should be supported only under a
>>> flag.  I think that fixes for existing features, however, should be
>>> incorporated into the C++03 mode, even if they don't show up in
>>> C++03 itself.  (A "defect repot", after all, is supposed to refer to
>>> a bug in the standard.)  I think the threshold for incorporating
>>> such fixes should be that the fixes are in WP status, in general,
>>> although I'd consider other fixes if it seems clear that the
>>> commitee is going to accept the change and the change seems
>>> important.
>>

>> I'd be unhappy about taking all "WP" changes unconditionally, either
>> CWG or LWG.

>> My concern is that if we implement all issues in "WP" status we'll be
>> back in the bad place we were in the late 90s: tracking an unstable
>> document, and claiming to implement a "standard" that hasn't actually
>> been standardized.
>>
>> There are some committee issues that ought to be implemented, because
>> there are some cases where the standard really is unimplementable,
>> vague, meaningless, or contradictory.  But at this point there is
>> only only official C++ standard, and where that standard is clear and
>> consistent our users have a right to expect that we'll follow it.
>
> Aren't we basically in agreement?  I think we both agree that we
> needn't bother with C++98 separate from C++03.  I said above that new
> features should require a flag, which I think is what you want too.
> If there's a disagreement, it's probably around exactly which
> non-feature modifications we should incorporate by default.  (For
> example, should the enum thing you mentioned be incorporated by
> default in our C++03 mode?)  I think I'd take those on a case-by-case
> basis, incorporating those that looked like they were really fixing
> silly things in C++03, and deferring those that are not.

We are in agreement, yes.  I misread you; I thought you were suggesting
that our default mode should conform to "C++03 + all issues in WP
status", and I was arguing that it should conform to "C++03 + a few
issues in WP that we've selected on a case-by-case basis because we
believe they are clear bug fixes."

> In this particular case, I'd think we should accept it with a warning
> in C++03 mode.  (I think the intent of C++03 was to make that case
> invalid, but the standard failed to actually say that. )

In this particular case there is no issue in WP status that changes
what the C++03 standard says.  The only fully resolved issue on this
subject is CWG 132, which reaffirms the strict reading of the C++98
standard.

I expect that CWG issue 389 will be voted to WP status at the Redmond
meeting.  If that's correct, then in early 2005 we will have a clear
example where the committee will have made one deliberate choice for
C++03 and a different choice for C++0x.  That's a good example of a
place where we'll want our compiler's behavior to depend on a flag that
selects which standard we're conforming to.

			--Matt