From: David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd <david.sauvage@adalabs.com>
To: David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
Cc: "gérard Calliet" <gerard.calliet@pia-sofer.fr>,
	"GCC Development" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Ada gcc compiler for ia64-hp-openvms
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 19:54:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 04/29/2017 06:31 PM, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd wrote:
> On 04/28/2017 06:47 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd
>> <david.sauvage@adalabs.com> wrote:
>>> Dear GCC Steering Committee,
>>>
>>> I am David, founder of AdaLabs Ltd, a software engineering startup
>>> having expertise in Ada programming language technologies. As a summary,
>>> we would like to know if gcc has interest in an assignment of copyright
>>> to FSF from our work. We are not used to this process, and are kindly
>>> soliciting your support on this task. Our work is about Ada compiler
>>> support on GCC for OpenVMS.
>>>
>>> AdaLabs Ltd (http://adalabs.com) and PIA-SOFER SARL
>>> (http://pia-sofer.fr) have worked hard to make Ada available again on
>>> OpenVMs using GCC (ia64-hp-openvms). Both entities share ownership,
>>> while AdaLabs is also the author of the work.
>>>
>>> Our work is based on gcc-4.7.4, and consists in building a gcc compiler
>>> for openvms ia64 (through native, cross and canadian build, starting
>>> from x86_64-linux-gnu to finally reach ia64-hp-openvms). The
>>> modifications are of two flavours:
>>> - patches to make the builds successful (in native, cross and canadian
>>> builds)
>>> - patches/backports to implement Ada/VMS related features, that are
>>> present in gcc version after gcc-4.7.4 (in native, cross and canadian
>>> builds).
>>>
>>> In the case you are interested in our copyright assignment proposal, we
>>> would be pleased to continue this process.
>>>
>>> In the case you are not interested in our copyright assignment proposal,
>>> we would be pleased if you could advise us on the best way to make our
>>> work available to the GNU/FSF community, especially concerning the
>>> licenses and copyrights management.
>>>
>>> I am at your disposal concerning any information you may need to take a
>>> stand concerning this proposal.
>> Hi, David
>>
>> The GCC Community always is open to considering patches to support new
>> languages, new targets and new features.
>>
>> When you say that the work is based on GCC 4.7.4, does that mean that
>> the patches are relative to GCC 4.7.4, as opposed to the current
>> development version of GCC?
>>
>> GCC only accepts patches relative to the current development sources.
>> Patches for bug fixes can be considered for backporting to an actively
>> maintained branch, but GCC does not accept patches for completely new
>> features to a release branch.  Also, GCC 4.7 initially was released 5
>> years ago and no longer accepts patches.
>>
>> Does the offer include continued support and maintenance of Ada/VMS to
>> ensure that it continues to function?  The GCC community requires
>> someone to assume responsibility for the continued function of the new
>> feature.
>>
>> Can you clarify some of the details of the offer?
>>
>> Thanks, David
> Great thanks for your feedbacks David,
> we will revert soon
>
> Regards

Dear David,

our 'assignment of copyright' proposal only target a set of patches for
GCC version 4.7.4. That is, as you clearly stated on your email above,
not part of GCC current development sources. As a consequence, I
understand that FSF/GCC is not in position to accept our proposal.

Grateful if you could confirm my understanding, as Gérard in copy of
this email is not used to the Libre Software world ...

This lead us to the last section of my initial email:
"[...] we would be pleased if you could advise us on the best way to
make our
work available to the GNU/FSF community, especially concerning the
licenses and copyrights management."

Any feedbacks on the above are most welcome.
Thanks again for your time,

Best Regards,

--

David SAUVAGE