* more graphite merges before gcc 4.5 branch?
@ 2009-11-12 17:03 Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2009-11-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

   Are there any plans for further merges out of the
graphite branch before gcc 4.5 is branched? I was
under the impression that the graphite developers
originally intended to keep trunk more closely
synchronized with the graphite branch during the
gcc 4.5 release cycle and this doesn't seem to have
happened. It would be a shame to see graphite's
performance be suboptimal for another release cycle.
               Jack

* Re: more graphite merges before gcc 4.5 branch?
@ 2009-11-12 18:23 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2009-11-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
>   Are there any plans for further merges out of the
> graphite branch before gcc 4.5 is branched? I was
> under the impression that the graphite developers
> originally intended to keep trunk more closely
> synchronized with the graphite branch during the
> gcc 4.5 release cycle and this doesn't seem to have
> happened. It would be a shame to see graphite's
> performance be suboptimal for another release cycle.

Yes, more Graphite merges are planned.  The VTA merge broke Graphite
and we are waiting for Alexandre's recent VTA fixes for Graphite to be
updated based on the initial feedback from Sebastian and merged into
the trunk.  Then the patches from Graphite can be merged.

Please keep in mind that Graphite is experimental and not a panacea.
If you and your colleagues want Graphite to be able to apply more
high-level loop transformations and want it to be more effective with
better tuning, please help implement the optimizations.

Thanks, David

* Re: more graphite merges before gcc 4.5 branch?
@ 2009-11-13 15:11   ` Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2009-11-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:23:30PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Yes, more Graphite merges are planned.  The VTA merge broke Graphite
> and we are waiting for Alexandre's recent VTA fixes for Graphite to be
> updated based on the initial feedback from Sebastian and merged into
> the trunk.  Then the patches from Graphite can be merged.
>
> Please keep in mind that Graphite is experimental and not a panacea.
> If you and your colleagues want Graphite to be able to apply more
> high-level loop transformations and want it to be more effective with
> better tuning, please help implement the optimizations.
>
> Thanks, David

David,
    Thanks for the information. Since FSF gcc on darwin is unlikely
to gain LTO any time soon (unless it comes in the form of DragonEgg
http://dragonegg.llvm.org/), I was hoping that we might realize
some performnce improvements via graphite (or at least see that
the none of the Polyhedron 2005 benchmarks degrade under its
optimizations) in gcc 4.5.
          Jack