* PR 8134: C++ crash
@ 2002-10-15 12:15 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2002-10-15 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: aoliva, jason, nathan

PR 8134 is a crash in force_store_init_value on the branch; it is a
regression.

The root problem here is that we were not handling zero-initialization
of pointers to members correctly.  Alexandre tried to fix the problem,
but in the process introduced the crashes above.  This was resolved on
the mainline with a rather substantial reworking of class layout code;
that was my patch to create a separate base class variant of each type.

What should we do on the branch?

The obvious choices are:

a) Nothing

   In this case, stuff blows up badly.

b) Move my changes over.

   As far as we know, these are correct -- but they are substantial,
   and therefore risky.

c) Revert Alexandre's patch.

   In this case, we get back to GCC 3.0-like behavior; incorrect
   zero-initialization of some pointers-to-members.

I don't like any of these choices.  I think I lean towards (c),
merely as a "devil you know" kind of choice.  I can also do (b), if
people feel that's the right thing, but I'm nervous about somehow
making an inadvertant ABI change in the minor release.

Thoughts?

* Re: PR 8134: C++ crash
@ 2002-10-15 12:25 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2002-10-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: gcc

... as specified, there is only one fix:

> b) Move my changes over.
>
>  As far as we know, these are correct -- but they are substantial,
>  and therefore risky.

I'm for this.

You can try the 'make check-abi' to see if any library changes are
introduced. This is not especially helpful for this issue, probably.

The other option would be for you to run your C++ ABI testers against
the patched gcc-3_2-branch code, and let us know if it works.

I don't have to feel the holes, mate. I'll believe you if you say it works.

-benjamin

* Re: PR 8134: C++ crash
@ 2002-10-16  4:03 Reichelt
From: Reichelt @ 2002-10-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: mark

Hi,

FYI: PR 7911 seems to be same problem as PR 8134. So there's not
only one user who trips over that bug.

Greetings,
Volker Reichelt